PDA

View Full Version : Bleach vs. Cal Hypo

CabanaMan
08-30-2006, 02:44 PM
First, thanks to all you fine folks who helped me open my pool this summer. Have used BBB method and Ben's test kit. Our pool is beautifully clear and kids are loving it.

Have read through many of the posts and have forgotten why bleach is superior to pool store Cal Hypo. Is it due to cost? bleach better for a number of problems? simplicity dealing with just one chemical? all of the above?

Was asked the question the other day and I could not put my finger on it.

What is the definitive forum answer?

Thanks again...it's a pleasure to have such a forum!:)

KurtV
08-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Cal-hypo constantly adds calcium to the water. Continual use will eventually lead to higher than desired levels of calcium which can cause cloudy water and scaling.

Cal-hypo is usually, though not always, more expensive than bleach.

Cal-hypo will sometimes cause cloudy water though this is usually temporary.

Using bleach in your pool will make you smarter and better looking (I just made that up but you can use it in your chlorination arguments).

Rangeball
08-30-2006, 03:08 PM
For me Cal Hypo clogged my DE filter quickly and forced frequent breakdowns with hard crusty DE that was difficult to rinse off the grids.

doggie
08-30-2006, 03:08 PM
All I know, is as soon as I switched over to plain old bleach instead of all the various pool store chemicals, my water cleared right up, and has stayed that way.

CabanaMan
08-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the education from everyone, especially from KurtV, my neighbor (we are just outside Lafayette, LA). The smart argument I need, and my wife will like the better looking part.