PDA

View Full Version : Help 1st test results - ZERO?

sisie5
04-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Well it's that time to open the pool,and took my first reading.Here there are,now I need help with the cya.I have an oval 18x33 AG VINYL liner not sure of the gallons.I tested with bens kit # ps 233 and the Black dot never did go away.I need all the help I can get to have a clean pool.Also can someone help me understand how to use the bleach calulator
thanks

FC 6
CC 0.5
TC 5-10
PH 7.6
CYA 0

kevincad
04-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Well it's that time to open the pool,and took my first reading.Here there are,now I need help with the cya.I have an oval 18x33 AG VINYL liner not sure of the gallons.I tested with bens kit # ps 233 and the Black dot never did go away.I need all the help I can get to have a clean pool.Also can someone help me understand how to use the bleach calulator
thanks

FC 6
CC 0.5
TC 5-10
PH 7.6
CYA 0
For CYA you need to go get some. The Bleach Calc also has CYA (conditioner) calc in it. With the bleach calc, you simply enter the number of gallons of the pool (for me, it's 13,500) then enter the parts per million of clorine rise desired (ppl cl) and hit the calc key, it will tell you the amount of bleach to add to raise the ppl cl what you told it you wanted. For instance, let's say my pool has a clorine level of 3ppm, and I want it at 4ppm. I tell it the gallons of my pool, tell it I want to raise it 1ppm, hit enter, it will tell me the amount to add.

sisie5
04-18-2006, 08:26 AM
how much do i bring up aclorine level to.where do i get conditioner and what is the name of the product.I new at this so forgive me if I sound stupid

thanks .

aylad
04-18-2006, 08:34 AM
You can buy CYA (also called conditioner, stabilizer, balancer, or cyanuric acid) at WalMart, Lowe's, or Home Depot. Just look at the ingredient label, and make sure it says the active ingredient is cyanuric acid or isocyanuric acid. When you put it into your pool, be aware that it's going to take 4-6 days for it to completely dissolve and start showing up on test results, so don't bother to retest for it before then. If you add it through your skimmer, don't backwash until then either, or you'll wash it out and have to start over. Lots of people on this forum put it in a sock that is tied closed, then hung in front of the return stream to help dissolve it quicker.

You don't sound stupid--these are all common questions that everyone here asked at one time, also!

Janet

kevincad
04-18-2006, 01:21 PM
how much do i bring up aclorine level to.where do i get conditioner and what is the name of the product.I new at this so forgive me if I sound stupid

thanks .
I'd try to keep my clorine at 5ppm until you get your cya up, then you can use Ben's best guess sheet.