PDA

View Full Version : Tropical storm/hurricane plan - question

Gracy101
08-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Hello. We're looking at Tropical Storm Ernesto to come through here later today. Hopefully it won't intensify further, it is predicted to be a "rain event" of approx. 10-15". As far as the pool goes I think I have a plan in place - hopefully enough bleach :D. Here is my plan:

1) Shut off the skimmer and leave only the main drains open so I can lower the water level to give myself about 10" of cushion before the pool overflows onto my deck (and hopefully not my family room!).

2) Shock the pool to the appropriate level for my CYA.

Now after the storm - I know I need to clean out as much debris as quickly as possible. Assuming we have no power, should I then reshock the pool and try to maintain shoch levels until my bleach gives out even though the filter/pump will not be working.

Or

Should I try to maintain some level of chlorine and wait until the pool pump/filter are working again and I can properly clean out the pool and then shock it again?

I was going to do the latter because I thought it would be counter productive to shock the pool if the pump and filter were not working and there was debris in the pool. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

BTW - good luck to all my fellow S. Floridians!:o .

aylad
08-30-2006, 07:10 AM
I would try to maintain some chlorine level the best you can, and wait to shock it until after you've cleaned it out...that way your "shock" isn't wasted trying to sanitize debrix.

Good luck, I hope it skips by you and doesn't cause you any problems.

Janet