PDA

View Full Version : Intex Pool - pitfalls of leaving up all winter?

buickgn
08-28-2006, 11:19 AM
We have an Intex 18 x 4 EasySet pool. Have been thru three seasons with it without any complaints except for a couple of pinhole leaks in the side of the pool. Easily fixed with a patch kit.

Tired of wrestling with it in the spring and fall and was wondering if it would be safe to leave it up all winter. We are in CT where we do see our share of snow storms and freezing weather. Anyone successfully do this in a cold climate?

yjjeeper
08-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Curious what the answer is to this one as I would like to leave mine up as well. North Idaho and we do get our fair share of snow and freezing temps.
If it can be left up do you empty all the water out or leave some in??

buickgn
08-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Would think a heavy snowfall might do it in. I am sure you get more severe weather out in Idaho than we do in CT.

yjjeeper
08-28-2006, 04:04 PM
True, and my worry. I have the Intex with metal frame rather than the inflatable top, not that it would matter much.
What about using a winter cover on it and using a pool pillow or two inside?

thebumble
08-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi,

We also have the Intex metal frame pool, 18' x 4'. We live in NJ. We are also going to leave the pool up this winter. I bought a winter pool cover and the pillow. We plan on draining water below skimmer/output lines, disconnecting hoses and filter (bring them down into the basement), taking ladder out, and keeping our fingers crossed!

Has anyone kept this specific type of pool up over the winter? I sure hope it doesn't freeze too much!

Any advice is appreciated!

:)

buickgn
09-01-2006, 10:13 AM
I am going for it! Going to do what thebumble said. I got a couple of pinhole leaks from it being in storage last year so going to chance it staying up all winter. Already have 3 seasons on it so I already got my moneys worth from it. Just tired of wasting all the water every year.

yjjeeper
09-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, I decided to take mine down for winter. I need to put sand under it and will have to move it anyway.

Keep us updated on how it goes leaving them up, I would like to leave mine up next winter.

CarlD
09-04-2006, 02:32 PM
As the un-plumbed pools have gotten cheaper and cheaper, I guess the risk isn't very expensive. If it fails, just buy a new pool, sans filter, hoses, ladder etc.

But I suspect it will fail. You are counting on the inflatable ring not deflating--but it WILL contract as the air inside gets colder and shrinks. Will it still be bouyant, enough to stand up to winds and snow? Personally, I doubt it.

I took mine down every year for the 3 years we used it, washed it with a chlorine solution, dried it, and put it away.

But the 15'x3' basic pool is a lot cheaper now and may be worth the risk.

jonv112
09-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I just finished draining and washing my Intex. I'm waiting for the liner and cover to dry now. I would never even consider leaving up one of these pools in a Canadian winter, but if you live in a warmer climate then I guess it would be OK.

Kimrst
09-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Our Intex Frame pool is coming down this weekend in Michigan. I want to put a bigger "real" pool up next year, but just in case we can't, I want to have a sure thing waiting next spring in our basement. I think I might try some unsented talcum powder in it while storeing for the winter. I thought I read it on the Intex website? Has anyone else try it?

Please post next sping how the pools did over the winter. We all would like to know... Kimrst

thebumble
03-30-2007, 01:05 PM
FYI, Spring Update:

Our 18' Metal Frame Intex has been up all winter and so far, so good! I do see a few seams that have a slight moisture building up on the bottom outside liner. I'm going to patch them up.

I think we'll have at least another year with this pool!

So, it DID survive the cold NJ winter! (There wasn't that much snow this year).

Also, any advice on using the Scotch clear duct tape over the patched seams? Will that give me extra reinforcement?

Thanks! :D

ssweaser
04-02-2007, 01:15 PM
I have an Intex 4' x 18' metal frame pool in central Texas. Left it up all winter and removed the pump. Couldn't get the cover to stay on so I ended up with leaves and such, but that was to be expected.

Opened yesterday and vacuumed to waste. Shocked it and it looks pretty good. Will need to shock it over the next few days to get the water totally clear, but it cleaned up very well and fairly quickly. No leaks, no problems.

In the fall I put a piece of plastic over each of the hose inlets inside of the pool (while it was still warm enough to get my hand in there), and then opened the valve to clear out any left over water. Re-closed the valve, removed the hoses and drained the pump. It sat like that all winter.

thebumble
04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
How exactly to you vacuum to "waste" in the Intex pool? I'm assuming you're using an Intex filter? I have the skimmer and regular pool vac, but i'm confused about that type of vacuuming!

:)

Kimrst
04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
One way you might vac to waste with an intex is unscrew the hose where the water returns into the pool from the filter and let that water out on the ground. Wouldn't that do it? Or would you loose the suction and it wouldn't work? Seems like a lot of water to dump though. With the leaf vac attached and the cartridge in I think it would be ok just to vac. He must have a diffrent filter.. Kimrst