PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in gunite

mmcguire
08-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Should I worry about very small cracks in our gunite pool? We have not moved forward from gunite since we can not figure out what color tile to use. :) The guite was applied in hot weather but watered often. Now I notice a couple of hairline cracks in the gunite running from the shallow end to the deep end. Should I be worried?

cwstnsko
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
We had hairline surface cracks in our shotcrete. The builder told us it was common and the slurry from the pebble would just fill them in nicely. It certainly hasn't caused us a problem so far.

imfignewton
08-27-2006, 08:55 PM
If there is the correct amount of steel and shotcrete don't worry. Most new shotcrete pools will have some amount of hairline cracks. If the cracks are more than hairline then talk to your builder about them. Even hairline cracks should be fixed before plastering so they will not shadow up thru the plaster.

huskyrider
08-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Even hairline cracks should be fixed before plastering so they will not shadow up thru the plaster.

I disagree.

I wouldn't lose any sleep at all over shrinkage cracks. Plaster crazing (more hairline cracks) will show up in spots where there were no shrinkage cracks at all.

Just my .02

See Ya,
Kelly