PDA

View Full Version : Question about bleach

14me2
04-17-2006, 01:53 PM
We have been shocking the pool each night, it still is a light green adn we can't see the bottom quite yet. What will happen if we start adding bleach instead of shock?

JohnT
04-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Adding bleach IS shocking if you put in enough. Shocking is chlorinating to an elevated level, known as the breakpoint. Dumping a packet or scoop of "shock" into the pool doesn't do much but make money for the store where you buy it. You have to know what level of chlorination you are going for and add enough chlorine in whatever form you choose to reach that level. If dealing with algae, test the chlorine several times a day and add chlorine whenever it drops. You may have to add 3 times a day.

14me2
04-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Right... we add a lot of shock to it, but we only add it at night so that the sun doesn't draw it all out. Anyway, I was just thinking of trying the bleach but waqs concerned about adding it since I had already been shocking it... I like to go over board on things... lol and so dh hasn't let me with the shock and frankly I am tired of wasting my money. The most he has put in is 2 bags... and I told him that is not enough. I am more of the pool guru of the family. Anyway, I just know that bleach is cheaper and I could get more for my money if you know what I mean. So would it matter that I had been adding shock and then suddenly put bleach in?
My other concern is how bleach feels when it gets on your body, slimy and you end up having this shiny part... will that happen with the pool as well?

mwsmith2
04-17-2006, 02:23 PM
The only reason bleach feels that way is because of it's high pH. It won't feel like that in the pool.

To help you with your problems, we need to know:

1. Pool size
2. Current Cl leve
3. pH

From there we can get a handle on your situation.

Michael