PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable returnline inlets

LucyP
04-17-2006, 12:26 PM
For the first time in 15 years the Pool guy put in these directional return line fixtures at $5.00 each. He said it will increase circulation. But they are not movable for some reason and dont come off. Do you know if they are possibly the wrong side, or way over tightened???
Also they increase the flow alot so its almost a spa effect and some of the water on each of the 2 lines goes along the walls quickly and a touch of rippling above water. Won't this cause more evaporation. He has the shallow end ponted at a left right angle to the end wall and the deep end toward the shallow end.

StoshJ
04-17-2006, 02:22 PM
The ones in my pool are adjustable "eye balls" as well. Mine have a ring with two "nubs" which hold the adjustable "eyes" in place. You have to loosen this to be able to adjust them. When you get them where you want them, you tighten down on the ring. All my returns point down and to the left. This creates a circular motion. I can't visually see the movement, but debris does follow a circular path ultimately ending up in the skimmer.

LucyP
04-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Sounds like ours. But why is it impossible to both unscrew the whole item or to at least move the eyes???? Am I just too weak or are they probably too small and jammed on by the pool tech ?????

EricF
04-18-2006, 02:19 PM
They are probably on too tight...I had to use a large monkey wrench to loosen the outer ring, then the eyeballs are easy to move.

Eric

kaybinster
04-18-2006, 05:01 PM
They are overtightened and once you loosen you should use some lube on them so they are easy to move. What you are seeing is not more flow from them, rather a greater pressure drop and less flow but with more force.

LucyP
04-18-2006, 05:24 PM
But should I have the pool tech back to do this or is it not too easy to crack with a wrench if I am careful????? I figure if he put them on incorrectly he should get them off, lube them and put them on properly so moving them is easily done whenever it suits us. I would rather not mess with them now unless you think it is a no brainer and they most probably will not break .

PoolDesignnet
04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Silly question.... why are you trying to remove the eyeballs? If you you have one pointing from deep to shallow and one the oposite way that's right where they should be. That should create a circular motion of the water in the pool.

LucyP
04-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh sorry. Let me clarify. The eye balls are both ponted the same way, not the opposite ways. Is this wrong for my 26 wide by 38 long rectangular pool???
I do not want to remove the fixtures, but rather be able to adjust the eyeballs at will, or be able to unscrew or screw on the fixtures easily at will. Are they not made a certain size with the ability to fairly easily do that?? How else is it to be called adjustable???? Both eyes are ponting as far left as the can toward the shallow end wall, almost not allowing the full eye ball to be open.

PoolDesignnet
04-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi LucyP,

It sounds like you the the snap-in fixtures. Either call the service guy back to re-adjust - this way he is responsible if they break or try using a piece of solid wood dowel, such as a scredriver handle or similar that will fit into the opening and use a little pressure to turn/swivel the eyeball in the right direction.