PDA

View Full Version : Easy steps-help!

bob57
08-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Hello- I am looking for above-ground pool steps that are not so steep. I have a golden retriever that has major hip problems and the stairs we have in now are just too hard for her to use to get out of the pool. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

matt4x4
08-28-2006, 07:43 AM
We have drop in steps, similar to wedding cake steps, they are really no different or steeper than any deck stairs or house stairs, plus they are not open, so no feet will slip through to teh back side.

AnnaK
08-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Bob, we sympathize!

Our two old shepherds are both dysplastic and have a hard time with the last step, getting from it to the deck which is flush with the edge of the pool. We've not found steps which are more shallow and certainly these dogs couldn't manage a Scamper Ramp. We just lift their hind ends when they get out.

If you find something more suitable, please post!

Poconos
08-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Is it possible to build a ramp from 1/2 or 3/4" plywood and coat it with some marine waterproof coating and either cross pieces for traction or a non-skid surface coating? Weight it down to sink the low end? Only needs to be in the pool when the doggies are in.
Al

AnnaK
08-28-2006, 09:35 AM
You could, but it would have to be fairly long in order to get the incline shallow enough for a dog with limited mobility, and it would get pretty heavy at that length.

Then again . . . they swim to the second step from the top and put their front feet on it. The rear of the dog is buoyed by the water still. They put their rear legs on the 3rd step and push off easily. The problem comes when they reach the top step. Dogs with hip problems have to hop, they can't do that fluid, 4-paw motion required to do stairs, and they don't have the strength to heave their rears from the top step to the deck. Large breed dogs are VERY heavy when wet!

Now I'm wondering if a short ramp, covering just the top two steps, might actually work. Hmmmm . . . another shopping trip to HD :)