PDA

View Full Version : S. Jersey Contractors

geralde
08-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Good morning.

I have been shopping now for a 600Sqft gunite pool for two week. I have met with 3 different PB's in the S.Jersey area. I met with Anthony Sylvan first. Got a pretty good quote from them...37k. next i met with VanBrill Pools (local PB). They came back at 39k, but i got them down to 37.5k after alittle negoation. Then I met with Swim-Mor....for the same pool 600sqft, 100sqft sunlounge, 2 hp DE filter, polaris 280,....they came back at 34k.

That confused the crap out of me...to be honest. So now I am on a mission to figure out why they can be so much cheaper.

Does anyone have any advice or experiece with Swim-Mor? Or the others mentioned above? Any help is greatly appreciated.

waste
08-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Geralde, first let me welcome you to the forum, then let me give you a bit of advice. Are all the quotes for the 'same pool' (are the quotes including all the same stuff- we have a competetor here that doesn't list the plumbing nor excavation and backfill in their quotes - it makes them seem cheeper than what we charge, but when those things are included, the price difference drops considerably). Are all 3 buiders equally respectable? All things being equal, I'm all for saving a few (or more) bucks, but be sure that you are comparing 'apples to apples'. I hope that you get the pool of your dreams and have nothing but hastle-free swimming, should you ever need some help or advice on your pool, don't hesitate to ask us! :) - Waste

I have no experience with S NJ pool companies (I grew up in N NJ and the first pool co I worked for was there)

JonnyG
08-28-2006, 08:28 AM
One of the biggest "surprises" building my pool were the extra's. For example, the electrical and gas runs cost me an extra $2500 despite the PB including 250 ft with the contract. The way the electrician measured, I ended up needing 150 more feet of both electric and gas (which was way more than I measured). My advice is that you make sure everything is identical in the quotes. My pool is in North NJ.

John

captainstanley
08-28-2006, 12:12 PM
I live in the Philadelphia region and had Anthony and Sylvan put in our pool last year and were very happy with them. They were very easy to work with and any problems that did arise were minor and were resolved within hours. I asked them for the worse case scenario in my quote such as an extra day excavating, hitting rock, hitting water, ect so that there would be no surprises. We actually had zero surprises so we walked away smiling.

Just my $ .02

markphin
08-30-2006, 09:08 AM
I too used Anthony & Sylvan, and the experience was pleasurable. I had very few issues druing the build, and they were responsive to my needs. Also warranty service after the fact was equally responsive. I would not use anyone else. My neighbor used some guy from south Jersey and was a nightmare for him. It took 0ver a year to build and a lawsut against the concrete sub.

geralde
08-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Thank you all for your replies. My wife and I have chosen to go with A&S, based on alot of feedback from neighbors, friends...and forum postings. SwimMor had a much better price, but we talked to alot of people who had problems with them after the fact with quality issues (gunite, plaster..cracks..etc).

So we felt we were taking a lesser risk from a quality perspective with A&S. Hope it turns out that way :-)