PDA

View Full Version : Pool Company Closing Chemical Question

snj2k2se
08-25-2006, 09:06 AM
This will by my 5th winter with our pool, and we have always had someone close our pool. Last year we changed company's due to a disagreement with previous company. This year the pool looked the best it ever has in the spring (some junk on the bottom but fairly clear water) but I had a hard time keeping it clear throughout the summer. I use the BBB method plus Tri-clor in the feeder but I have never had as hard a time as I have this year keeping my FC level up and keeping algae off the sides.

I received the closing brochure from the pool company yesterday in the mail and noticed something odd. They add polyquat at closing (OK from what I've read here) but also "non-chlorine oxidizer". Could this be bromine? I am wondering if this is what caused my problems this year when I opened.

I know most people here close their own pools, but for me it is worth the money to have them to pump out the water, blow out the lines, and install the Loop-loc cover.

mas985
08-25-2006, 11:22 AM
I am not a real expert on pool closing since I never close mine but non-chlorine oxidizer is Potassium Monopersul. It is used in place of chlorine shock but from what I know about it, it is not as effective. Not sure why they would use that instead of chlorine. Google this to find out more info:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22non-chlorine+oxidizer%22&btnG=Google+Search

From what I have read on the forum, most suggest a close after the water gets below 50 degrees or so. A bleach shock at this point should hold you over until thaw next spring. Use Ben's best guess chart for levels and you should be ok.

Spensar
08-25-2006, 11:47 AM
One reason I read that non-chlorine shock was used is it is not corrosive on the pool cover if the cover is in touch with the water.

snj2k2se
08-25-2006, 03:39 PM
OK, that makes sense. The cover only touches the water when we get enough snow to weigh it down.
I think I will ask them to skip this step this year. I shock to around 15 with bleach the night before they come to close the pool anyway.

Thanks for the help!