PDA

View Full Version : Can't mix Tri-chlor and Cal-Hypo?

poolmikecalif
04-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Can someone explain why you can't use a floater that you have had tri-clor in and use Cal-hypo.

I've seen this said on this board and others, but not explained.

I presume that you can use both in the same pool, but must wait for some unspecified time frame when switching types.

Just curious about the chemistry. My plan for this year is to use Tri-clor in a feeder and see how it goes.

fofa
04-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Do NOT mix different types of chlorines!
Once desolved they are safe (I.E. In the pool water), but if you allow different types of chlorine to contact each other, there can be an explosive reaction.
Never mix chemicals.
There used to be good stories of exploding chlorine feeders etc. before the crash. Others will say the same.

Search Pool Solutions or the 'net for more information.

poolmikecalif
04-17-2006, 04:15 PM
I want to know why this happens. What is the chemical reaction. What is the likelyhood ofthis happening. My web search has come up with nothing.

PoolDoc
04-17-2006, 07:54 PM
The likelihood of a bad reaction is 100%!

THIS is NOT the place for chemical experimentalists. If you want to learn how to play with chemicals that go boom . . . please go elsewhere! I've never been inclined to explain that stuff, because there are inevitably those who want to try it for themselves.

You know it's not safe, and that's all you need to know for pool purposes. If you want to study chemistry, go to your local college, and by a text book on oxidation reactions. I'm sure it will help you learn all about it.

This thread is CLOSED.

Ben
PoolDoc