PDA

View Full Version : Closing My Pool - The Mechanical Stuff

Orkalovesfood
08-24-2006, 12:57 PM
1st time I will close the pool by myself (as this was the 1st time I opened it thanks to the board)

I have read Carl's post on how to prepare the water for closing and I think I've got most of it:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=2364&highlight=closing

My questions is:

What steps do I need to take to prepare the pipes/pump/filter for closing.

I have an IG 40x20 vinyl liner with 1 skimmer line, 1 suction line and 1 return. A DE filter and pump (housed) and I am in SE PA.

I know I have to lower the water (below the skimmer?)

I know I have to drain the filter

I know I should clean out the pump basket and the filter grid.

How do I blow the lines and prevent water from getting back in them prior to getting the plugs in?

I know I need to pour some antifreeze into the skimmer but how much and how do I pour it into the return and suction lines?

Do I pour any antifreeze over/in the pump/filter?

What position should I leave the multiport in. Any other things I should check/clean/store for the winter?

finally with regards to Carl's post, is a Qt. of Algeacide adequate for my pool? My CYA is on the lower side (30) should I float a few pucks in the pool as well?

Thanks in advance!

karrde97
08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
I have a 21' AG. What I do is put a cover over the skimmer face(buy from pool store) and put a PVC plug in my return jet. Disconnect & drain everything and move it to the garage. I'm just a little particular and didn't want to mess with the antifreeze process.

Obviously, an IG pool setup is going to be different. Maybe with more research(this forum), I'll try the antifreeze thing. It took me 2 years to switch to BBB. One thing at a time.

Poconos
08-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Some answers:
-----
Q-How do I blow the lines and prevent water from getting back in them prior to getting the plugs in?

A-usually a shop-vac with a blow capability is enough to blow water out of the return lines. Trick is to connect the blow port to the piping system somehow. Duct tape, PVC pipe and variuos PVC thingies usually work. Can give you more ideas if needed. As you're blowing air through the return lines and bubbles are coming out of the returns, insert the plugs.
-----
Q-I know I need to pour some antifreeze into the skimmer but how much and how do I pour it into the return and suction lines?

A-I blow the skimmer line too, then plug the skimmer with a 'gizmo', then siphon RV antifreeze into the return line via the pump basket pipe entrance. Forgot to mention I also pack the skimmer housing with closed cell foam...same stuff as pool noodles. Have to provide for ice expansion. No need to fully pack. I probably achieve a 50% foam pack by cutting the stuff in strips.
-----
Q-Do I pour any antifreeze over/in the pump/filter?

A-I drain the pump and suck out any remaining water with a shop-vac. I do put the pump basket lid on and pour some AF into the basket housing. I don't tighten the basket cover.
-----
Q-What position should I leave the multiport in. Any other things I should check/clean/store for the winter?
A-I actually take the multiport valve inside but in any case leave the handle in a position between settings to relieve pressure on the gasket. In reality, probably doesn't matter. Also, take the pressure gauge inside to prevent freezing. Ice will destroy the thing.
-----
Hope this helps.
Al

moriskod
08-29-2006, 12:11 AM
If you close with the water temp below 70 or so then a quart should be more than adequate. I would not float pucks for the CYA but if you can stabilize a floater in the middle away from the liner it doesn't hurt to put in a few pucks to boost the chlorine level.