PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Booster Pump Rebuild

vgg659
08-22-2006, 02:44 PM
In looking for instructions on rebuilding my booster pump, I can across http://www.pumpwarehouse.com/howtopolaris.html. These seem OK, except that I was surprised to see the following:
"... Do this properly by siliconing the metal part of seal that mates with seal plate # 5."
and
"Install white ceramic part of seal into impeller # 2 with a little silicone around rubber part # 3."

Is it recommended that silicon sealant be used when replacing the seal?

aquarium
08-22-2006, 02:50 PM
There is also a version of lubricant called silicone, they may be intending that.

vgg659
08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Wow. Polaris Customer Support came through quickly and painlessly.

Attached are Polaris's instructions for the seal replacement. Silicon sealant is required.

vgg659
08-27-2006, 11:27 AM
A piece of cake. Follow the directions and take your time, and someone with beginners mechanical skills should have no trouble with this project.

Prior to reassembly, clean everything very well with clean paper towels, paying particular attention to removing the old silicon sealant (mine came off rather easily). Keep your hands clean when dealing with the seal, as any grit or dirt will ruin your best efforts (the pump will leak). I let my pump's silicon sealant cure for ~12 hours prior to priming the pump.

A word of caution, though - Even though I didn't touch the electrical wiring side of the motor, I turned off the breaker. You can never be too cautious.