PDA

View Full Version : Operating Valves

Simmons99
08-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Okay, the new pool is in, but I don't know how to run the equipment. I haven't been given any maintenance equipment, manuals, instruction, etc.

I actually thing the builder would prefer if I didn't touch anything - at least that is the feeling I get from him.

Here are some pics on my equipment. I have a Hayward cartridge filter with a 2 HP pump, and Jandy valves. My initial suspicion is that if you turn the valve so "OFF" is towards a certain pipe - than that connection is sealed off right? The "MD" - is that main drain. I guess the vac - is for the vacuum line. So when I want to vacuum - what position do I place the valve? Also - right now they have the spa drained (my pool is almost overflowing now) - how do I set it to spa mode - where the water is cycling through the spa and overflows?

http://www.philsimmons.com/family/gallery/pics/393.jpg

PS: this pic was taken about a week and a half ago - so this isn't the current setting of the valves.

South_Texas_Sun
08-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Hi Phil,

Forgive me for hijacking your thread so early, but where did you get that GREAT "florida-room" screen cage? :)

About your valve question....it's counterintuitive, but the valve HANDLE doesn't point in the direction of flow on those valves. If you have a clear basket vacuum cover on your pumps, try opening (or closing) the valves to see the effect on the supply-side water in the pump window. That will demonstrate the "open" position of the valves for you. (open=90 degrees or perpendicular to the waterpipe direction)

I'm sure someone will explain it better, but I had to write my best in order to avoid the appearance of hijacking :)

STS

Spensar
08-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Pool companies seem to be pretty darn good about having manuals available on the net. Here's some links:

Hayward: http://www.haywardnet.com/products/Manuals/manuals_all.cfm

Jandy: http://jandy.com/html/productsupport/#manuals

The builder is not finishing the job if he leaves you like that. Most products and manuals have right on them "leave with owner:.

RavenNS
08-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Phil,

Forgive me for hijacking your thread so early, but where did you get that GREAT "florida-room" screen cage? :)

STS

Umm, sorry about this, but me too....lol

That screen room is gorgeous!

How big? How Much $ ? ( if you don't mind sharing)
and do you have a website for it?
& can it be a DIY project or is it something that should be left to professionals
( due to degree of difficulty of install)

Do you think that it could handle snow?..lol

again, I'm sorry to butt-in & change the thread topic, but your new pool is just too wonderful to ignore & I adore your screen room :)

Best of Luck to you
( & I'd leave the PB a vm message about bringing all manuals to you)

Simmons99
08-22-2006, 12:32 PM
We have to here in florida - it is 27' X40' with a 8' covered area with gutters - about $13K. It's the only way we don't get carried off by the bugs (and it helps to keep out the snakes). There are very few pools in FL that don't have the screen enclosure.

It can be DIY - I have a friend at the office that added onto his - check local building wind code (I see your in TX) - we have to install cement footers and lots of ty-downs. In my area it must withstand 120mph winds without ripping off the house. They did major damage to neighboring houses during the hurricanes in 2004.

The frame is aluminum and has slots in it to secure the screen - similar to the screen frames on windows. Then they just bolt them together.

Here is a company I found that has a location in TX. http://www.screenenclosures.com/

Simmons99
08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
On the valves - I have pool school at the end of the week - DH just called and said that they were out and the spa has water now. I guess I will read those manuals and then see what they tell me on Friday.

Another stupid question - what is supply-side? I have also read "suction side" - is there a place I can get definitions for these terms. I totally understand all the chemical stuff - but the plumbing seems like a totally different world to me :o

tenax
08-22-2006, 12:48 PM
supply side is the side that the water comes out of (going back to your pool) suction side is where the water flows into (gets sucked into) the pump.

Spensar
08-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Bet you bite your tongue hard when the pool school starts laying out the 4in1 tabs/floc/algaceide/phosp/bromaine/bacq, etc., etc., etc.

tenax
08-22-2006, 01:21 PM
here's a guide to every bit of lingo you'll ever need to know. also has an alphabetical search function.

http://www.poolcenter.com/pnlingo.htm

Simmons99
08-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Bet you bite your tongue hard when the pool school starts laying out the 4in1 tabs/floc/algaceide/phosp/bromaine/bacq, etc., etc., etc.

Actually I am going to tell them if they add anything to my pool I will have to kill them :D

Phillbo
08-22-2006, 04:53 PM
I skated mine while it was empty too....

Not a bad session for a forty'ish year old... a couple nice carves above the light and a few back sides off the tile :cool:

Simmons99
08-23-2006, 09:03 AM
We had the gas tank installed yesterday to heat the hot tub. DH says last night - "Let's try it out - I know how to turn on the heater". I tell him okay - but that we still need to figure out the valves.

Alright I learned that if you turn the handle so that "OFF" is towards a pipe - that connection closes. So I turned the valves on the pressure side to all T-Jets (on the spa) and turned on the heater to 99 degrees. The heater says "85" - which would be the temp of the water in-take I guess.

So I check the spa - yep - the water coming from the jets is warm. BUT - the water is still spilling over the spillway. Well there has to be some way for the system to pull water in from the Spa main drain so that way we are not heating the whole pool.

So I turn the valve on the suction side to the Spa Main drain and I see all this air filling up at the top of the pump and it starts making a weird noise. So I turn it back to where it was with the spa main drain off. So we sat in the hot-tub that only got about 90 degrees - and ended up heating the whole pool to about 87 degrees over about 45 minutes. :o

I guess I will have to wait for them to come out and tell me how to work this thing! I get so impatient - I guess DH is right "I'm SUCH a girl!"

Simmons99
08-23-2006, 09:06 AM
I skated mine while it was empty too....

Not a bad session for a forty'ish year old... a couple nice carves above the light and a few back sides off the tile :cool:

I swore DH was going to end up in the hospital. I told him "whatever you do - don't say Hey kids - watch this!" Nothing good happens after that line :) - but luckily - he decided to get out after about 15 minutes of trying. Then he had to show off to all the neighborhood kids and lost my son's skate board down a large storm drain. Son's not too upset - dad's got to buy him a new board this weekend:rolleyes: