PDA

View Full Version : Hose popping off

t-cal
08-21-2006, 03:31 PM
So happy to have found this wonderful forum.

I have a new (since June) above ground pool. This morning found a hole in the hose that connects my filter to the chlorine dispenser. Pool had drained to below skimmer and don't know how long pump was running dry.

I purchased a new hose (of course it's not the same one that came with the pool, but a replacement hose), filled the pool and tried starting up the system again. However, the hose keeps blowing off the fitting to the chlorine dispenser. I can see the pressure building in the hose and then it pops off the dispenser.

Called the pool store who said to soak the hose in hot water so it fits further on the fitting. It fits in the same spot as the former hose.

I just cleaned the pump, filter cartridge, checked chlorine yesterday. Could I have done something to cause pressure to be building up somewhere? Before the hose pops off I do notice that water is coming out of the return into the pool (but didn't get to check how strong before the hose flies off).

Thank you.

matt4x4
08-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Sounds like they sold you the cheap hose and connectors with the pool, try tigerflex and barbed connectors. Besides that, maybe 2 clamps instead of 1.

RavenNS
08-21-2006, 04:14 PM
I agree with Matt, you may need better clamps for this new hose

t-cal
08-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Thank you both, so much, for your prompt replies.

I was just out looking things over and seems my husband (of course I'll blame it on my husband) put the prevail chlorine pack in the dispenser backward. I think that is causing the pressure. The pack also seems a bit "pinched". I'm going to replace the pack.

In the meantime, the hose is not popping off, but really expands big time. I am hoping that is normal, as my previous hose did not do this. This one seems a bit more flexible.

I know it's a stupid question..... but should the hose expand once I turn the sytem back on.

matt4x4
08-22-2006, 07:37 AM
I've never seen a hose "expand" before, on my pool, they just look like they "stiffen up" some with a bit of movement, but then they equalize and settle and look the same as always. I'm not familiar with the Chlorine pack you're describing since I only use bleach, so I really can't say whether that is part of the problem or not.
I wouldn't trust it not to pop off again, not something you want happening when you're not around, I would look into it a bit further because it just doesn't sound right.
Can you run without a chlorine pack and see if the problem goes away?
A chlorinator should not give that kind of backpressure to expand a hose.

t-cal
08-22-2006, 08:24 AM
matt:

Actually, I did by-pass the chlorine system and go directly to the return. The hose seemed to be fine. I think I was being a bit overly concerned with the movement of the hose. It's just a bit more flexible than the original hose. I will look into the hose and clamps recommended earlier. In the meantime, I'm only running the pool when I'm around to keep an eye on it.

I truly appreciate everyone's responses.

tenax
08-22-2006, 08:28 AM
i think that makes sense with own experience matt. i note that the tiger flex hose where i use it doesn't expand, but it does go sort of rigid when pressure is applied.

waste
08-22-2006, 09:16 PM
If you go the 'tiger-flex' way, DON'T USE CLAMPS !!!!!!!!!!, use schedual 40 fittings and PVC primer and glue to secure them (threaded reducers with a 1 1/2" slip fitting are available at any decent hardware store). Tape whichever threaded reducers with 3 wraps (all the way up the threads) and glue the 'bell' end to the pipe. Make sure you read the instructions on the can of glue to insure a good seal. I've taken a number of 'shortcuts' in my explanation, but following this will insure a good connection. (if you've any questions about what I've advised, ask and I'll go into further detail). I beg for you to trust me on this, as I spend a lot of time every year correcting leaks caused by homeowners using tigerflex and clamps. (it's only a small % of fixes I have to do as opposed to those due to installers using 'black poly' :eek: - but that's something for the 'China Shop'. )
T-cal, welcome to the forum, I want you to have a great 'pool experience' so am trying to prevent your doing something that will be a continual headache. Do it once, do it right and enjoy the pool.

traceyb
08-22-2006, 09:57 PM
If you go the 'tiger-flex' way, DON'T USE CLAMPS !!!!!!!!!!, use schedual 40 fittings and PVC primer and glue to secure them (threaded reducers with a 1 1/2" slip fitting are available at any decent hardware store). Tape whichever threaded reducers with 3 wraps (all the way up the threads) and glue the 'bell' end to the pipe. Make sure you read the instructions on the can of glue to insure a good seal. I've taken a number of 'shortcuts' in my explanation, but following this will insure a good connection. (if you've any questions about what I've advised, ask and I'll go into further detail). I beg for you to trust me on this, as I spend a lot of time every year correcting leaks caused by homeowners using tigerflex and clamps. (it's only a small % of fixes I have to do as opposed to those due to installers using 'black poly' :eek: - but that's something for the 'China Shop'. )
T-cal, welcome to the forum, I want you to have a great 'pool experience' so am trying to prevent your doing something that will be a continual headache. Do it once, do it right and enjoy the pool.

Is there any way you could attach a photo of the correct fittings? I have silver clamps around all of my hoses that tighten w/ a screw and I DO NOT want to wake up one morning and have to refill the pool. I would love to see how your hoses are attached. Also, where would one find "tiger flex" hoses or GOOD quality hoses. I'm all about a little extra $ for a better lasting "anything".
Thanks

waste
08-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Is there any way you could attach a photo of the correct fittings? I have silver clamps around all of my hoses that tighten w/ a screw and I DO NOT want to wake up one morning and have to refill the pool. I would love to see how your hoses are attached. Also, where would one find "tiger flex" hoses or GOOD quality hoses. I'm all about a little extra $ for a better lasting "anything".
Thanks
Tracey, I don't want to cause you any loss of sleep, the clamps work for a few (or many) years, I was only trying to say that 'if you have to make a change, and were using PVC 'flex pipe' ', glue, don't screw (as in the clamps).
Don't be afraid of the connections you have! I only suggest that, if needed, you make the change to PVC glued connections (which are a chemical and mechanical bond) vs. a purely mechanical (the clamps) connection. It's an old saying but "if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT (until necessary) .
I certainly welcome you to this forum! and hope you have nothing but trouble-free swimming! However, should you ever have any trouble, know that I and the rest of the members will 'bend over backwards' to help you!
Fear not Brave Soul! - Waste

matt4x4
08-23-2006, 07:44 AM
Well, judging from all teh pools around our town (and I believe we have close to a 100% pool vs house ratio), tigerflex with barbed connectors and clamps seems to be the most common installation proceedure, some have the lower cost hoses, more like your standard vacuum hose.
I replaced my clamps right away with a stronger clamp - looks the same, but a way higher quality that won't slip when tightening.
Standard hose clamps are really a waste of time and energy and can get people frustrated relatively quick, I chose to forego that aggravation by throwing the pool company supplied crap into the "spare repair parts bin".
Haven't had so much as a drip yet.

traceyb
08-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks so much waste. I know you all are superb at all of this. I have a few posts that I started several months ago and it made my baby steps to this "new" pool situation seem like adult strides. In regards to the post previous to this, where does one get the "cadillac" clamps?

I have started the B...in baking soda, but am finishing up my trichlor smart sticks this year and hope to wean myself to the other B AND B. I use a mac though and cant get the bleach calc. It's only for PC>
Thanks all

tenax
08-23-2006, 08:24 AM
i use a double clamp of this type on my tiger hose where i need it..no barbs and in 5 years, no slippage:)

http://www.partssystems.com/shop/products.html?category_id=AERO

not sure it's that brand, but exactly what it looks like with the worm gears..

matt4x4
08-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Good question - I'm in Canada, and i cn tell you right now it won't be Home depot!
Try some of the smaller hardware stores, many times you cannot tell by looking at the clamp, just by testing one or two or bringing a regular one as a comparison
I have found that if you take a pool store clamp with you to compare, you may see subtle differences on the clamp like a slightly thicker band, a better crimp connection for the worm drive screw, little telltale signs like those are what you're looking for.
be prepared to hit a number of stores til you find good ones.