PDA

View Full Version : Help to clean your water

IMherDad
04-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Last year I saw on this site someone who suggested using a Scum Sock to help control the "fine" particles in your water that your filter might miss.

We used them at the end of the summer and it helped quiet a bit. So when I uncovered the pool this year and cranked up the pump you could see all the pollen and junk flying around in the air and even some in the water. It's just that time of year when you can wash your car and the next morning it's covered in a green film.

So we started using the Scum socks and WOW... I was amazed at all the junk these things were picking up. Right now until all this spring junk quits flying around we are changing out our Scum socks at least three times a day and they are just nasty. There's just that much garbage in the air! And there are no trees within 60 yards of our pool.

And our water in the pool? It's crystal clear. If you haven't tried some of these I highly suggest you do. In fact it's one of the best investments we've made for our pool. I think they come in a pack of three or four and cost less than $10.

waterbear
04-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I was wondering if they were worth it...will give them a try now!

Tootie
04-17-2006, 08:54 AM
I agree,they well worth the money.
Having an Intex Donut,with not the best pump and filter,those socks keep all the lil tiny stuff out.

Margit

PopcornGirl
04-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Just a tip: I was told that old pantyhose would work just as well and are a great use for those with runs or holes that we would normally just throw away...
Also, you might be able to purchase really CHEAP hose or knee-highs cheaper than the scum socks.
I'm about to go through my sock drawer because I KNOW I have some old hose in there that would work!
I'll let you know how they do...

Sherra
04-18-2006, 03:02 PM
I was wondering if panty hose would accomplish the same thing...:) The ones in the catalog I get look like white knee high panty hose to me.

IMherDad
04-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Well they are close but the scum socks have a lip stiched in them so they wont' roll over your skimmer basket.

We tried using your idea first but they just kept coming off one side or the other so we spent the $10 and got the real deal.

p.p.h.
04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
How do you clean them ? Or do you have to continue to purchase them?

PopcornGirl
04-25-2006, 05:24 PM
IMHerDad:

Oh, I forgot that part... I was told to secure the panty hose with a large rubber band to keep it from coming off the skimmer basket.

b2001
04-27-2006, 09:33 PM
How do you clean them ? Or do you have to continue to purchase them?

Just take the basket out, dump the large trash out, and wash out with a hose with a pressure nozzle on it. Put the nozzle on a "lighter" setting - a jet spray can put a hole in the sock.

I only have to replace them because of tearing holes in them, which happens - otherwise, you can wash all the scum out. They will clog up a lot faster than a filter will (I have a cartridge filter) and need more attention if your pool is dirty.

But I love using them.

IMherDad
04-27-2006, 11:21 PM
We purchased some the other day from Wal-Mart and I so far I really like those better than the ones from the pool store. They are a little bit larger and fit the skimmer basket better and seem a little heavier duty. The cost is about the same as the ones from the pool store.

leejp
04-28-2006, 12:30 AM
I purchase these last year... The 2 lasted me a whole season (~3 months here in Upstate, NY) and I still have them. There are small holes but they are still effective.

http://www.skimmernets.com/

http://cgi.ebay.com/SKIMMER-BASKET-FILTER-NETS-for-a-cleaner-pool_W0QQitemZ4458768741QQcategoryZ3243QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They may not catch the real small stuff but I still cleaned off a lot of dead algae and small debris from the net.

I also ran my Aquabot Pool Rover Plus ~2x/week. I backwashed my DE filter 2x last year (1 was when I closed the pool). So I'm definately a believer.

prh129
04-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the larger ones. I got some and they seem small for the basket. It's amazing how much crap it trapped in just one day (pollen season).

muundance
04-28-2006, 03:02 PM
I did a search for head covers on the net. The kind they where in hospitals. I found a company that has a few different kind and ordered samples. Not sure if I'll get them or not. They seemed like a good alternative to the basket covers. Also, they are very cheap purchased in bulk. If they work, I'll post it.

Karen_in_TN
04-28-2006, 03:44 PM
I have used "knee high" pantyhose. They have a band around the top. They are longer, but I just usually leave the extra in the basket. They seemed to work okay, but couldn't be reused for as long as the real ones I bought at Wal-Mart. (BTW, at WalMart I paid 99 cents for a pair of knee highs)

waterbear
04-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Just got a 3 pack at Walmart today for 5 dollars and change. It's only been in the skimmer for about an hour and a half but I am amazed at how much junk it has collected already:eek: I give it a thumbs up!:D

CarlD
04-28-2006, 08:11 PM
There are a couple of brands of "skimmer socks" out there for about 5 or 10 for $5.

I clean 'em the same way I clean the bags from the Dolphin: I grab a bucket of water, and turn the sock inside out and wash it in the bucket, just with my hands. I rinse it with another bucket-full. Takes a minute, no more. Works better than hosing them down, and is FAR faster--which means you are more willing to do it.

IMherDad
04-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Yes it's totally amazing the "junk" you can pull out of your water with these socks. The Cottonwood Trees are going nuts here now and the pollen is about as crazy. There are days I have to change the socks out at least twice a day BUT I've yet to vacuum the pool and its sparkling clean.

One other benifit that you get is that it cuts down on your backwashing saving you money!

barry