PDA

View Full Version : $100 diff. tween 12 and 16 MIL solar blanket?

hsdancer
04-16-2006, 10:42 PM
We're choosing among clear covers -- thank you all very much for the advice.

The price difference between a 12 MIL and a 16 MIL solar blanket for our pool is $100. Do you think the added thickness is worth it (33% thicker for 50% more money).

Will a thicker cover really last that much longer? Joie

kaybinster
04-17-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm sure you will get many different opinions on this one, here is mine. I used to buy really good thick covers, but I would typically only get two years out of them. I keep mine on a reel when not in use, but don't cover it to keep sun off of it which may explain some degredation. The point is, last year I bought the cheapest one I could find - I think it was $89 for a 20 x 40 cover. It is still OK right now and I may make it through the year with it. So, I find the cheap one lasts almost as long as the expensive one. In this case I paid less for mine that the difference of the two you are looking at.

Poconos
04-17-2006, 10:49 AM
All I can say is last year bought a cheapo 8 mil and found it was too flimsy to roll easy. Got a 12 mil for $106 at Leslies and seems fine. Exposing the rolled cover to sun is a real killer. The white plastic sheet they give you is barely enough to cover so I got some cheap white bedsheets at Walmart and stitched them together. Works a lot better. Best you can expect is probably 3 years and anything after that is gravy.
My nickels worth.
Al