PDA

View Full Version : new pool installed-would like advice

rustin
08-16-2006, 05:23 PM
We just had an Artesian Emerald Isle 33' round pool installed. We have a 36' D.E. filter and Hayward 1hp pump. I just wanted to get some suggestions on start up as opposed to the pool store people. The pool has just reached the full mark and now I need to start the pump. I think I got the the pre wash directions down for the D.E. Just want to make sure.

I was told to add 7 Quarts D.E. throught the skimmer. Then to shock the pool.
This seems ok but I was curious about the frog.

Has anyone heard of this system. F.R.O.G.?

Im really concerned with getting started the right way to be problem free. I am away from home a lot and do not want to have to worry about it.

CarlD seems to really have it going on, an hour a week maintenance...WOW!

Please help me to get on the right track.

Thank you so much,
Rustin

hrsdennis
08-16-2006, 07:00 PM
I will only comment about the FROG since one of the companys I install for used them for years. Make sure you have an anti siphon valve between the FROG and the filter. Make sure your return jets into the pool a little straighter than what might be normal. You do not want that high concentration of chlorine coming in contact with the pool liner until it has been diluted.

The only other problem you will have is the chlorine will eat your plumbing three times as fast as without it. Just some things to keep an eye on.

I think the real reason for selling the FROGs is it keeps you coming back to their store for replacement packs. Just my thought anyway.

Later, Dennis

medvampire
08-17-2006, 02:35 AM

I spend about the same amount of time on my pool.:p 10 minutes in the morning testing. 5 minutes in the evening treating. Saturday 15 minutes dropping in the vacume and 10 minutes to get it back out. The only time I have to really work is after a bad storm to get all the leaves out of the pool.:(
Steve

Poolsean
08-17-2006, 02:54 AM
Isn't the FROG a catalyst type system that feeds (dissolves) silver and copper into the pool, as the water flows through the feeder (like Nature 2)? These are typically LOW chlorine residual devices... or am I mistaken?

CarlD
08-17-2006, 07:35 AM
We just had an Artesian Emerald Isle 33' round pool installed. We have a 36' D.E. filter and Hayward 1hp pump. I just wanted to get some suggestions on start up as opposed to the pool store people. The pool has just reached the full mark and now I need to start the pump. I think I got the the pre wash directions down for the D.E. Just want to make sure.

I was told to add 7 Quarts D.E. throught the skimmer. Then to shock the pool.
This seems ok but I was curious about the frog.

Has anyone heard of this system. F.R.O.G.?

Im really concerned with getting started the right way to be problem free. I am away from home a lot and do not want to have to worry about it.

Please help me to get on the right track.

Thank you so much,
Rustin

Thanks! I'm just the one who articulated what a LOT of people here do.

Some people have had luck with automatic dispensers of liquid chlorine. I have not. If I try again, it will be with a perastaltic pump and timer. In the meantime, I have found that adding 1/2 to 1 gallon of bleach every 2 days seems to keep everything perfectly in balance--for my pool. Everyone's pool is different and you have to find what is that perfect amount for your size pool, your type of pool (concrete, vinyl, SWG), your local water and environmental conditions (Northern, Southern, Dry, dusty, humid, polluted--welcome to New Jersey!) etc.

But by and large, daily testing and adjusting will keep your work load very low.

gonefishin
08-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Hi runstin...welcome :) and congrats on your new pool!

This is my first year of owning a pool, so I've got plenty yet to learn. But, I believe PoolSolutions has certainly helped speed up my learning curve.

Some things (not in any order) that have helped me manage my pool within it's first year (which so far seems successful).

First off...get a good test kit. Have you got one now?

I've got Ben's test kit and paid a little extra money to have it put in at a rush order. I did pay a little more for it...but it came in fairly quick. Because you will have to wait some time for a kit to come in...try and get a nice drop test kit from Walmart or your nearby pool store.

Get some stabilizer in your pool. Have you added any CYA to your pool yet? If your test kit test for CYA...great. If not...you'll have to rely on a pool store to help you with the reading until your test kit comes in.

I have mine set at 40...but do some reading and find where your "target" number is. It seems that whenever your making changes or adjustments to your pool (chlorine, CYA, Ph, TA etc) you'll always want to know your "target number" before you start making the adjustments.

I'm sure you've already added bleach to your pool. For me...the bleach/chlorine method has really worked nicely. My water almost always looks incredible with very low maintenance. I've only had one algae bloom, which was my fault, and with some persistence my water (again) looks great.

Getting to know your pool and it's bleach consumption may take some time. So...take measurements often enough for you to feel confident that you know what you're water is doing. ALso...pay attention to heavy bather loads and rainfall! Take a look at Ben's best guess CYA chart to match up the CYA level you have in your pool with the necessary maintenance levels of chlorine and "shock" levels that must be reached if you need to shock your pool.

Also download the bleach calculator. Once you do...punch in the amount of water in your pool...concentration of the bleach you use...and make the adjustment 1ppm. Now comment this number to memory. Because any time you need to raise your chlorine level...you will now know the amount to add that raises up one point. Now you just multiply that amount of chlorine by the number of points you want to raise the chlorine.

When your pool is "running good" it seems like it's taking care of itself. But you really want to stay on top of things. Measure often, stabilize your water (Ph and TA included), vacuum or run a cleaner at least once a week or more often if needed, turn and be sure to do the proper filter maintenance (back flushing or cleaning the cartridge that's needed). Have persistence when trying to make some changes (such as TA changes or fighting algae) and have faith in the system here. It works.

It's also nice that you have a support group, here at PoolSolutions, that is knowledgeable, friendly and quite helpful.

enjoy your pool!
dan