PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend an Automated Pool Cleaner

vlad7
04-16-2006, 08:18 PM
I've been so busy lately I cannot clean the pool every week as I should, so I'm looking for an automated pool cleanner. I have an inground pool, 14*28.

Any experiences with the Kreepy Krauly and Baracuda G4?

Thank you.

vlad7
04-17-2006, 07:20 PM
anybody ?

schirico
04-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Last year I had an AG pool and used a "ladybug" I loved it, but her rubber feet ketp coming off, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I had an IG kidney shaped, 16x24 built (just completed - still need decking) and it came with a Kreepy Krawly. I've used it 3 days in a row now and I"m very amazed by this device, it climbs right up the walls and is very effective.

cgc2
04-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Maytronics (Dolphin).

mbar
04-22-2006, 09:06 AM
I have an aquabot. It is expensive, but I love it. I have a 16 x 33 fiberglass pool, and never have to use the vacuum.

SJohnson
04-22-2006, 09:17 AM
I think you'll find that many people on this forum use the dolphin by Maytronics (http://www.maytronics.com)

I went with the Hayward Phantom and it has been great thus far . . . we'll see how it lasts . . . the surface mode does a great job especially around the perimeter of the pool as it usually goes around the outside, where most of our surface junk accumulates.

-SJ

ljh
04-22-2006, 09:33 AM
I got the maytronics dolphin last year - could not be happier. I throw it in at night and pull it out in the morning. Very easy to use and did a very good job. I have an inground vinyl 16 x 32.

crazimom
04-22-2006, 10:11 AM
I have a Polaris 280 with a booster pump, I think it does a great job.

cleancloths
04-22-2006, 10:14 AM
I've had a Polaris 380 for years and it works great - highly recommend.

AndyG
04-28-2006, 02:41 AM
I fought with a Baracuda G3 for years and finally got a Dolphin Dynamic and what a difference! I can run the pool equipment less since the Dolphin filters and circulates the water, plus it costs next to nothing to operate. We'll have to see what replacement parts cost me in the long run though.

I've got a fiberglass lap pool (40x9x4) and this thing scrubs and vacuums the floor, steps and walls up to the waterline. I had thought about replacing my cartridge filter with a DE, but this things does such a great job of cleaning, I may not have to now.

I was reluctant to spend this much on a cleaner, but found www.costco.com had it and with their return policy, I had nothing to lose.

MaryLee
04-28-2006, 07:29 AM
I have a Kreepy....it works ok but, I find it stays in the deep-end even when I've adjusted the weights. It also tends to get caught up in the ladder in the deep-end. I usually end up manual vacuuming (which I actually enjoy).

CarlD
04-28-2006, 09:11 AM
I have the Dolphin Dynamic and love it. I don't know that it's better than the AquaBot or the other high-end robotics--I liked the warranty better. I think they are all probably very good.

But they are pricey--the simplest start at $700-$800. There are other automatic cleaners but they have their own issues. Vacuum sides tend to be good only for flat-bottomed AGs. Pressure sides don't filter fine enough.

But I suspect that with the right type for your pool, set up correctly, they can all work.

west1745
04-28-2006, 09:56 PM
I've been so busy lately I cannot clean the pool every week as I should, so I'm looking for an automated pool cleanner. I have an inground pool, 14*28.

Thank you.

I chose the Dolphin Diagnostic - got it on ebay. I wanted a cleaner that does a super job once a week versus one that bangs around the pool all the time and makes a mess of the filter cartridge.

Just got it today and love it - it super cleans for 6 hours and then shuts itself off. Has a self contained bag that is pretty easy to clean - just soak in bucket. Don't have to clean the cartridge so much. The pool sparkles. And the water flow in the pool stays good which is good for the SWG.

Just my 2cents worth. Good luck with what you choose. My BIl has the Baracuda and loves it.

Prov35
05-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Aquabot Turbo. Have used it for 3 years in a 20x40 vinyl inground. I believe I paid around $800 for it. It is great for opening the pool. Really sucks up the junk from winter. I usually run it once a week for 6 hours. I've been very happy with it. It really makes my life easier.

waterbear
05-06-2006, 08:24 PM

Thank you.
My uncle has the G4 in his pool (about 30K gunite and tile) and it works very well. IMHO, it is probably one of the better (and costly) suction side cleaners available if you decide to go that route. If you want to spend the money a robotic cleaner is probably the best choice, however.

sb2323
05-07-2006, 02:47 PM
We've had the Hayward Phantom for about two months now and have been very happy with it. I love how it will clean the surface and the steps, as well as sides and bottoms.

nikonsal
05-07-2006, 07:52 PM
I have the G4 in my 18X36 gunite pool with DiamondBrite finish and after some adjustments made after the initial install by our pool builder, I can say that it works pretty well. Some have said that it only cleans the floor but mine not only climbs up the wall it will also works it's way across the wall. This might be due to the fact that my pool has a very smooth radius where the walls meet and where they meet the floor.

PhantomAndy
05-08-2006, 09:31 PM
I would have to recommend the Dolphin (or other robotic). You might consider the extra $$ for a remote control (The Dolphin Dynamic) for quick spot cleaning.

Budget = $800 - $1100

SVPOOLMAN
05-09-2006, 12:28 AM
As a professional, I recommend the Kreepy Krauly very highly. I haven't seen a great deal I like about the Barracuda.

milynor
05-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Just bought a Dolphin Diagnostic on ebay for less than $700. Haven't used it yet, but looking at all the post, I'm looking forward to it!!

gumbeaux71
05-10-2006, 10:43 AM
We have an Aquabot (also sometimes branded as Storm) and we love it! Had it for 3 years and the only thing we needed to do to it was order new treads for it.