PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine testing and copper Algaecide

Patrick Block
08-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Does copper algaecide (colloidal) interfer with the chlorine test?

DavidD
08-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Does copper algaecide (colloidal) interfer with the chlorine test?

No, it will not. Any idea how much copper you have?

David

CarlD
08-14-2006, 09:38 PM
No, but copper turns blond hair green, and does the same to nails. It turns fittings green and it's not too good to ingest.

i never, EVER use copper algacide.

Patrick Block
08-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the responses, let me give some background. I purchased a house with a 16X32 IGP vinyl liner about 15 years ago and struggled the first 3 years with persistant algae. Until I tried copper, it was my savior! Not a bit of trouble. I use about 1 pint per season and have amazing water. The only thing I noticed was very low to nonexistant Cl readings even immediately after application (I use 90% granular). Since the water was perfect I added Cl as I saw fit ( not too scientific I know ) and all was well.

As a note, I never have seen any ill effects from copper and have recommended it to several friends who have also had great sucess however some have also noted the Cl problem I have?

This year I opened the pool very late into the season and although the water was clear there was a layer of green growth on the bottom, of course the kids were in a rush to get in so I added about 1 pint of copper ( enough for an entire season) and I haven't had a Cl reading since. This issue has always bothered me so I turned to the internet and found Pool Solutions, thanks for all your efforts this is an amazing site. Now with some proper guidence (those pool stores are a mess) I look forward to learning all I can. Thanks again,

Patrick