PDA

View Full Version : Polaris 380 into a return line???

LucyP
04-16-2006, 05:52 PM
My dedicated under the concrete deck Polaris booster pump PVC line has got a leak near my pool after 14 years. Probably ice. I am thinking since we have 2 return lines on our 20000 gallon pool that instead of fixing the polaris line, I will run the polaris off the return hole in the shallow end, and then the return hole in the deep end and shut off the return line permanently for the polaris booster pump. Will this be easy and will it also help with the priming difficulty I am having???. Is it a matter of rigging up a disconnectable wall mount to the directional return inlet at the wall???

duraleigh
04-16-2006, 10:00 PM
I am assuming the leak is not repairable...even with a lot of effort. My first choice would be to make the repair...even if it cost some bucks.

Dave S.

waterbear
04-16-2006, 10:13 PM
The 380 might not operate properly without a booster pump. You might not have enough pressure in the line to get the proper RPM's for the unit to move and climb right. Polaris makes the 360 which is almost identical but it is designed to operate off the return line. I am not really sure of the differences between them except for the flow rate needed to operate them. You might want to consider calling Polaris's tech support on this one to make sure you won't damage the unit or your system's plumbing. (BTW, Did you know that Polaris is owned by Zodiac?)

LucyP
04-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes, we are having a square ft of the concrete taken out and repacing the inches of pvc that is cracked. I couldnt figure out another problem in that the pump was not priming without alot of trys and troubleshooting. My pool guy I call for advice, said to grease the o-ring real good with silicon, happy to say, it worked great!