PDA

View Full Version : My Own Startup.

CarlD
04-16-2006, 02:37 PM
This weekend is pool opening for us. My boy and I got the cover off yesterday, dried, folded and put away. The water is clear but there's lots of brown stuff like dust or dead algae on the bottom.

So this morning, I ran my numbers:
FC: 0
CC: 0
TC: 0
pH: 7.3-7.4
Now for the surprises
TA: 20 (140 at closing last fall)
Cal: 10 (140 at closing)
CYA: <20 (dot never disappeared so it may be 0--40 at closing)

I'm guessing because we had a lot of rain, and my AquaDor skimmer cover leaked, there's been a lot of water replacement. Plus the dead algae on the floor ate up the CYA.

The water level is high enough to run the filter. So we got the filter hooked up, and running, and I dumped in a lot of Di-chlor powder I have left over. My pH may be a tad low for it, but I can adjust that. But I need the CYA it will add. I'll put in 1lb of baking soda as soon as the stores open tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I am running the Dolphin to vacuum the bottom. I figure 3 or 4 runs to clean it.

Just FYI: I'm providing an example of what my spring startup is. Not looking for advice--I think I have it covered.
Carl

CarlD
04-17-2006, 09:18 PM
So I added two full measures of Di-Chlor and tonight my readings were:
FC: 13.5
CC: <=.5 (minimum non-0 reading with Ben's kit)
TC: 14 (or less, but more than 13.5)
pH: 6.8 or a tad higher, but not 6.9
T/A: 80
CYA: 40

So I dumped in a box of Borax. We'll see tomorrow night. I expect pH to rise to 7.5 and T/A to rise as well, hopefully to 100 or more. I was about to add 1 pound of baking soda but remember that raising pH should raise T/A as well.

I'm now done with Di-Chlor and will use bleach. CYA is where I want it, and pH dropped. So bleach is now the chlorinator of choice.

Water's too cold for the Dolphin--it's not running as well as I would like.

Pump is running 24/7 for now, but on low speed.

LostboyinVA
04-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I thought CYA took a while to disolve? Or is the DI-Chlor allowing for a reading that fast? never used di-chlor before. Going to 40CYA overnight may mean you have higer CYA then you want?

CarlD
04-18-2006, 06:22 AM
It could well mean that. It could also mean that my first test, before I even hooked up the pump, means that lighter, softer rainwater was on top and the older pool water was down below. Now it's mixed up.

Now I would be surprised if the amount of Di-Chlor I added raised CYA from 0 to 40--it was two DE cup measures. There shouldn't be anything close to that much CYA in the Di-Chlor

Meanwhile, NOTHING I have added could cause T/A to go from 20 to 80 overnight. Di-Chlor is acidic, so pH went down, which causes T/A to go down. I added nothing else.

So I'm convinced it was layered water that gave me those numbers.

CYA takes a long time to dissolve when it's in its own form. I would expect Di-Chlor to change CYA much faster since it dissolves within minutes to an hour, rather than 2 to 7 days.

We'll see where it goes, but I'm not worried. I still plan to switch now to bleach.

KurtV
04-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Carl,
From how deep in your pool did you sample? It seems unlikely that the (nearly) undiluted rainwater could could extend as far down as 18" or even 12".

CarlD
04-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Carl,
From how deep in your pool did you sample? It seems unlikely that the (nearly) undiluted rainwater could could extend as far down as 18" or even 12".

About as far down as my elbow...the water is still brutally cold so I'm not going deeper!

I agree that the layering could EASILY be that deep--or more. But now the pump's been on 24/7 since Sunday mid-day.