PDA

View Full Version : How do I add bleach?

wl1117
08-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Simple question, how do I add bleach to the pool? Should I dilute first? Should I pour into skimmer or dump straight into pool?

GraceByDesign
08-10-2006, 08:03 PM
If you have an auto chlorinator (even if it is unused), pour it slowly in front of a return. Otherwise, you can pour it right thru the skimmer.

You do not need to dilute it.

ChristopherS64
08-10-2006, 09:58 PM
I add all my chemicals through skimmer slowly. I usually turn oof chlorinator but have forgotten with no ill effect.

cdarpo
08-10-2006, 10:43 PM
My inline chlorinator specifically requires that it be installed AFTER all other items; I've been told to NEVER add chemicals to the skimmer.
The reason for bothe of these instructions, (I believe) is to avoid causing any damage to the internals of the equipment. Sounds like good advise.
so I would add chlorine at the return or around the edge of pool to allow for dilution before it gets into equipment

chem geek
08-10-2006, 10:51 PM
This linked thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4645) goes into more detail on this question, but the conclusion is the same. Pouring chlorine over a return in your pool or even dumping it into the main pool area (with the pump running) will not cause any problems. Pouring it into your skimmer may cause problems if you have an inline chlorinator for Tri-Chlor pucks, but if you don't then it's probably OK (even though I argued that there might be some small risk to equipment or filters).

Richard