PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Pool Waterline Tile - Yes or No?

momof2grlz
08-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Hello, everyone. I'm a newbie to the forum and to pool ownership. I've been reading posts for the past few weeks and have learned alot.

My husband and I are having a 12' x 25' freeform fiberglass pool installed with a cantilever concrete deck. I'm looking for opinions on whether or not to have waterline tile installed. I originally decided not to have tile to save money, but now I'm afraid the pool won't look like a conventional pool without tile.

Does anyone have an opinion or wish they'd installed tile when they didn't; or vice versa, wish they hadn't installed tile. I've been told you can have the tile installed later, but I'm wondering how that would work since the pool already has water in it. I would think it would be tough to keep the surface dry while the tile and grout are being installed.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

mbar
08-10-2006, 08:46 PM
I have a fiberglass pool, and wish it had waterline tile. It is not that the pool doesn't look good, but it is a pain to keep the waterline clean, because the pool is white, and you see everything. You could wax the waterline, but I have not ever done it, because by the time I open in the spring, I don't want to take the time to clean and wax it! Tile would be much easier to clean in my opinion, and it wouldn't show every spec! I would love to hear from others too.

keithw
08-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I also have white fiberglass pool without tile. I am planning on a DIY tile job this fall. From what I've seen & heard it doesn't sound overly difficult.

A. You have to drain the pool below where you want to install the tile.

B. You use silicone to attach and grout the pool. Some people use regular silicone but I am considering using Marine silicone. http://www.hometownstores.com/detail.aspx?ID=84082

Here are a few DIY fiberglass install sites.

http://www.fiberglassswimmingpooltiling.com/
http://www.flextile.com/index.htm

mbar
08-11-2006, 09:37 AM
I also checked into the do it yourself tile. Only I can't do it myself!! I am trying to find someone who will do it for me, because I want the over the lip tile too. I asked the tile contractor that did my tile around the pool, but he didn't seem to be too interested. Maybe next year.

woodyaht
08-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi,

New to the site, and was here reading last night and thought I'd give my 2 cents :)

Silicone should not be used underwater what so ever. Silicone contains talc which allows it to absorb water, and it gets brittle over time and looses it's grip. Ever notice when you put a clear bead of silicone in your shower that it's nice and clear, then a few years later its yellowed, and not sealing very well.

I work on lg. privatly owned boats for a living and silicone has never been a good thing on boats.

The best products to use for gluing/sealing anything that has to do with water is Polyurathane Marine Sealants/Adhesives.

3M makes a couple good ones 4200 (fast drying) 5200 (dries very slow but is extremely strong)
Sikaflex 291 is a good all around sealant adhesive.

I come from the Koi ponding forums where I have been preaching the use of these sealants for a long time. I made my own 4000gal pond out of fiberglass and have come here to see if anybody has taken on building a pool as I am in the planning stages of starting my own pool (beach entry, my own pebble finish) out of glass. But I haven't found anything yet.

jimcufsemall
08-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Let us know what you did Chris with regards to your tile, Im in the same boat. My builder wants $1900 to install tile around the fiberglass pool, and we are thinking since we are going with a dark blue gelcoat we can get away without the tile. Also when you get your pool installed dont forget pics! :)

Jim

waterbear
08-29-2006, 01:34 AM
Hi,

New to the site, and was here reading last night and thought I'd give my 2 cents :)

Silicone should not be used underwater what so ever. Silicone contains talc which allows it to absorb water, and it gets brittle over time and looses it's grip. Ever notice when you put a clear bead of silicone in your shower that it's nice and clear, then a few years later its yellowed, and not sealing very well.
I have been a marine aquarium hobbyist for about 30 year now and have constructed glass tanks using only silicone. I have one that is about 20 years old and still holding strong so I beg to differ with you on this!

To get to the main question. I have a white fiberglass pool with waterline tile installed and am very happy with the way it looks. I have to clean the tile about twice a year with a tile scrubber and tile soap to keep it clean. Very low maintenance for me.

duraleigh
08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Here's another two cents worth.....Epoxy thinset and epoxy grout is what the pros use to install tile on fibreglas.

It is not an easy product to work with and generally not to be undertaken without some practice. That said, if you have some experience or are willing to take on a tough task, it certainly could be a DIY project.....done slowly and carefully....epoxy can be a disaster if you are not familiar.

momof2grlz
08-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. It appears that most people who have waterline tile like it and those that don't would like to have it. I'm leaning toward tile to give the pool a finished look. I'm not much of a DIYer, so I'll have a local tile company who specializes in tiling fiberglass do it. I hope to post a pic when the pool is finished (if it ever gets started - permit delays!:mad: )

Chris