PDA

View Full Version : Panty Hose on Skimmer?

nanniesrock
08-10-2006, 09:50 AM
I just read this in another thread. I've never heard of this before, but I can understand why it sould make sense. Should I be doing this to get the green out of my pool ASAP? Can someone please explain EXACTLY where the panty hose go?

Also, what's SWG?

I'll try & post some test results, but I don't trust them at all. Stupid dip strips:mad: . I've read here that the pool store guys do the same test, so I don't really trust their results either.

Jeffski
08-10-2006, 09:54 AM
SWG stands for Salt Water Generator.

RavenNS
08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't know if panty hose will work, tights might work better as the mesh is tighter ( you would also need a good elastic).
A "skimmer sock" looks like panty-hose but the mesh is much tighter. You put it inside your skimmer's basket with the eleastic part wraped over the lip of the basket.
works awesome for pollen, bugs and some types of algae.

you could also buy a pool devil as well to do additonal skimming...
same idea, it's a large sock that that collects debris & attaches to your return outlet

PatL34
08-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Get yourself a decent test kit like a Taylor K-2006 from the pool store, or an HTH kit from Walmart for starters.

Pat

nanniesrock
08-10-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm trying:) Unfortunately, I've haven't found one yet. I'll keep looking. I can easily see the importance. I think I'd be better off getting one from here though. At least then I'll be able to trust the results. I'm doing the dilution method now, but it's telling me my PH & alkalinity are low. I doubt that's right. I think I'm gonna just keep shocking the crap out of it until it clears, then fiddle with the rest.

mbar
08-10-2006, 11:50 AM
If your ph is below 7.0 you must raise it pronto. Anything under 7 is acidic and can damage your pool and equipment. I highly recommend that you order the test kit from here - it is the best! Then you can take control of your own pool.

waterbear
08-10-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm trying:) Unfortunately, I've haven't found one yet. I'll keep looking. I can easily see the importance. I think I'd be better off getting one from here though. At least then I'll be able to trust the results. I'm doing the dilution method now, but it's telling me my PH & alkalinity are low. I doubt that's right. I think I'm gonna just keep shocking the crap out of it until it clears, then fiddle with the rest.
Just to make sure...the only test that you can dilute is the OTO chlorine test. don't dilute the pH and alk tests.

nanniesrock
08-10-2006, 12:40 PM
OK, newest results :
PH 7.6
alk 120
CYA 30
hardness 150

clorine totals were harder, just state >5. Got another test kit. Will try & measure chlorine myself.

Simmons99
08-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Your other levels are fine - just work on the chlorine levels. You should have 3 parts distilled water/1 part pool water and multiply by 4 JUST FOR chlorine. You want to register between 4.5 & 5ppm on the color chart to be in the right amount. (see my reply on your "cloudy" post).

mjs31
08-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Get yourself a decent test kit like a Taylor K-2006 from the pool store, or an HTH kit from Walmart for starters.

Pat

So true...I cannot stress enough how bad the sticks are and how valuable a good test kit is. I got the Taylor kit listed and it is so much better then the Walmart ones or even the ones my local pool store had. This forum has made life very easy. I am now down to only adding bleach and have had nothing but perfect measurments for the past month plus.

Poolboyz
08-14-2006, 11:15 AM
The skimmer socks work real well for dog hair that gets into the pool. I have three dogs that all love to swim! Before the socks were installed, the hair clogged up the filter and had to be taken apart and cleaned out. Now the majority of the hair gets collected in the socks..