PDA

View Full Version : New Liner

jrv331
08-09-2006, 04:57 PM
I had some recent storm damage to my vinly liner and am thinking of just replacing the liner rather than repair. My local pool company wants 400.00 to install a new liner(plus the cost of the liner). How difficult is it to install a new AG vinyl liner? It is a job best left to the pros?
Thanks for any advise
John

waste
08-09-2006, 05:42 PM
John, if they can do it so can you, however, you must decide if the time and energy you'll put into the project is worth $400. The cost seems very reasonable, but if you'd like to tackle it yourself, please post how the liner is secured to the pool (J-hook, overlap, bead) and I and others will talk you through the process. My best advice is to let the pool dudes do it, but watch what and how they do it so you can see if you want to try it yourself next time.:) Good luck with the project!

jrv331
08-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Guess I'll let the pool guys handle it, at least if they screw up they'll have to get me a new liner. What are the differences between J-hook, Beaded and Over lap? I have a overlap and would like to get one with a better pattern but havent seen to many overlaps with patterns.
Thanks
John

waste
08-10-2006, 06:04 PM
John, though I wasn't trying to discourage you from taking a stab at dropping your liner, I think it's a good idea to let the pros do it - but try to schedual it for when you'll be home so you can see what they do.
The 3 ways to secure the liner:
J-hook - the liner has a fairly hard top edge that looks like an upside-down "J" which hooks into a "J" shaped channel which hangs off the top of the pool wall.
Beaded - the liner has a single barb attached to the top edge which slides into a small track which is perpendicular to the wall and locks it in place.
Overlap - the liner is cut ~6" long all the way around the liner. When setting the liner, you pull it up enough so that there are no wrinkles and secure it every foot with a wooden clothspin - when the water gets deep enough the pins start popping off as the liner gets pulled down to the floor - then you run around the pool feeding a little more liner into it and repinning it (this may be funny to watch, but a real pain to do if there are only 2 people to 'work the pins') Once the water is up a foot or so, sections of plastic clip are put on, all the way around the pool, to secure the liner and metal 'clips' are put over them to keep things in place.
On all 3, the 'top rail' then needs to be installed to provide the 'ridgidity' for the top of the pool wall (and getting them in can also be '?fun?')

As for patterns, overlaps don't have a 'tile pattern' because they don't have a known top, the other 2 types should be available with tile patterns. All else being the same, the wall and floor patters should be the same as for inground pools. Hope this answers your question.