PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry experiment in my back yard

jenpen400
08-09-2006, 12:38 AM
I purchased zeobest ultra because they claim it has anti microbial properties and no negative side effects. I figured if works in ponds it’s not leaching any snake oil so I gave it a try. I'm usually very good at keeping chlorine levels up I've been at zero for the last five day's (nobody has been swimming) still clear. Also the filtering quality of zeobest is in my opinion better than sand but if charge with a little DE it sparkles. The last time I turned my pump off for several days to look for a leak I had a bloom in three days and the water temp was 8 deg colder and chlorine stayed at 1 to 2ppm cya 30. Please no slams I'm just posting my experience. This has not been an intentional experiment but back problems and two small children have made it difficult to get to the store and lug the jugs.

jennifer

duraleigh
08-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Hi, Jennifer,

Not intended as a slam, but newbies or semi-newbies might interpret from your post that Zeo...(whatever....I thought it was Zeobrite) replaces the need for chlorine and sanitizes your pool......it doesn't.

jenpen400
08-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Yes I’m not saying that my water is sanitary I would not put the kids in it. If the product does have anti microbial properties it could lower the demand for chlorine because what it kills the chlorine doesn’t have to. Am I right? But it only comes in contact with a small amount of water at a time so any critters in the pool are free to party and make more critters. That’s why I came to the china shop! If I didn’t feel so gimpy I’d take a couple of samples to the water company one from the pool and one from filter. I’d just love to know.

Jennifer
24ft round soon to be pond

waterbear
08-09-2006, 01:30 PM
It has a coating on it called Zoonocide. This is also used in coating household surfaces in manufacture to act as a bacteriostat. I suspect that it has minimal effect and there is not going to be any residual effect so normal chlorine levels would still be necessary. Zoonocide itself is a toxic chemical but only a very small amount is used in the Zeobest according to the MSDS.

jenpen400
08-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the info, I can't say for certain if it is any better my feeling is it might have some benefit and so far I've seen no negatives to it. I'm Hurting now just went to wally world with the little ones. Chlorine is back up pH is back down hopefully mom and pool will be good for a swim in the morning. Think it's time for a cold one.

Jennifer