PDA

View Full Version : Urgent! Pool Vandilized! Need Advice

BarbP
08-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Someone put a sticky, oily substance in our pool. We don't know what it is, but it is very thick and sticky. We assume that shocking the pool will do no good. I am concerned that it will mess up the pump because it is so sticky - there were some white pieces in the pool- when you take them out they are like liquid but then they dry and are sticky.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
Do we just drain, clean and start over?
And if we start over, what can we use in the way of security to keep someone from sneaking into the yard again?
BTW- it is an 18' Intex Easy Set and we love it (I am sooooo upset tonight!)
Thanks
Barb

CarlD
08-08-2006, 09:21 PM
I would try to skim it if I could. If not, try to get a syphon going and syphon the oil off.

If it were me, I would try to get as much as I could out mechanically, then since it's an 18' Intex, I'd drain it, scrub it, and refill, then shock the h*** out of it!

medvampire
08-08-2006, 10:51 PM
For security if you have a place where you can stick a web cam I would get some software where it records to the hard drive any movement in the pool aera. If the oil slicker attacks again you will have proof and you could seek reinbursement for damages. I have set up a cam and cought the kids next door sneeking in the pool when we are not home. I had a talk to them and their parential units while showing them the video. The video stoped any denial of their actions.
Steve

waterbear
08-09-2006, 01:52 PM
It is possible an enzyme product might help in this case. NaturalChemitry makes one called Pool First Aid that I have seen work on very badly contaminated pools. It is expensive but might be worth a try....it might or might not work depending on what they put into your pool.

CarlD
08-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Since you have NO idea what they dumped in, I'd drain, clean the pool and refill. An 18' EasySet is small enough so that you'll lose a day or two of swimming, no more. When it's empty, scrub it with a watered-down bleach solution, not direct bleach. Dry it, and refill.

My best advice.

y0manda
08-09-2006, 07:11 PM
As far as the security, webcams suck you need to get a full on cctv dvr system That can be remotetly viewed, my dvr has an alarm that buzzes when someone is within the program grids of each camera durning a certain time of day or night, so lets say for i.e. someone walks upto my driveway at 2am, I would hear a buzz, also I park my truck always in the same spot so I have the grids where my truck is turned on for an alarm also, if someone were to walk near my truck. or even in my back or side yard. My cameras are all 480i with infared for night, I also have a couple infared illuminators that automatically turn on at night to make it more visible for my cameras. There is also a PTZ camera on the top of my house that is remote controlled for zoom, pan and tilt with a 28x optical zoom. the reason why I have gotten this was because:
1. for ***** and giggles Edited by Mod CarlD: It is quite clear in the forum rules that such language isn't tolerated. We enforce it. Check the AUP post by PoolDoc.
2. So my wife can keep a close eye on my son playing in the front and now that we have the pool, she can watch him while shes inside.
3. my dad likes to be able to keep his eye on my house via internet when he's bored.

So If you are going to get a system for security don't half ass it, go all out. besides if something ever happends to your neighbors house you can sell them your footage :)

http://y0manda.serveftp.net:81/albums/album03/P2050063
http://y0manda.serveftp.net:81/albums/album03/P2050064

GraceByDesign
08-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Yikes, yOmanda :eek:

Remind me to call before I come over ;)

BarbP
08-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for all the advice.
We are draining it right now, as I write. The guy at the pool store thought it looked and sounded like paint - that's possible, but we'll never know. Anyway, I will water down the bleach when we clean it.

We're not ready to get a really expensive security system for an Intex that is only up two months a year. However, this did get us to thinking about improving our security and we may eventually get a camera system. We are thinking of putting in the motion light and an alarm that goes off if motion is sensed - but we realize it will probably go off when animals go by etc. But we need to do something in case the clown who did this tries again.
Barb

Snowymoon
08-09-2006, 09:06 PM
I just wanted to say I am sorry to read this happened to you. :( I really hope you can find out whoever did that. That is just terrible. :(

medvampire
08-09-2006, 09:11 PM
The above mentioned system is great but very pricey. I think I have about $30 in mine with 3 cams in the yard. I have motion self learning software running under linux. I have no need to pre program the software due to its ability to mask objects. The system also allows me to get a look from any where on the net from my dsl. I have motion sensors for lighting on my deck walk way going to the pool as well as infrared cams in non lighted aeras. I have cought the kids next door in 2 occations sneeking in the pool and could clearly id them. I guess all I am saying is you can do a good system with out going broke.:eek:
Steve

DogPaddle
08-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Barb--how crummy!! Sorry this happened to you. I have another cheapy "security" idea. We bought dummy security "cameras" from Radio Shack that look very real. They mount anywhere and have red blinking lights that run on 9V batteries. You'd be amazed at how effective they are at corraling OUR teenage kids as well as keeping others off the property. :D Good luck with your cleanup.