NWMNMom
08-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Ok, here are the numbers as of today, then I will list some qualifiers:

FC - 10ppm
TA - 280
CH - 400
CYA - 35
PH - 7.0

We had been running a TA of 240-260 and PH of 7.2-7.4 until Sunday when I returned from vacation to find that lazyteenager (LT) had failed to stay true to the one major task assigned while Poolslave (that would be me) was gone for 4 days - he failed to follow the 2min a day bleach schedule! 15 mins before we got home (we called on the road) he ran out, saw green fuzz (it had been 95-100 degrees every day and no bleach!) so thinking he could quick fix, he grabbed a bag of Cal-Hypo from the garage (used on old pool) THEN decided to add a bit of bleach to top it off. I got home to a cloudy pool, green fuzz in spots at the bottom and on the coving, and a LT with a stupid look on his face. Yes, I did proceed to explain B L E A C H is the stuff I buy in jugs, do not use anything else in it's place OR mix chemicals young fool.

I brushed brushed brushed and added more bleach to get a FC up over 10ppm, running the pump 24/7 ever since. I don't remember what the CH was before except that it was not an issue, but maybe something over 200. I have always had crystal clear water, no scaling or cloudiness. My Ph has always run a bit low but not too low. We do not have a SWG or heater (we use solar panels) We have well water so have had some metal issues which requires sequesterant when refilling. I don't have a water softener to run things through and cannot have alternate water delivered - we are WAY too far away from anyone that does that. I did top off water today because he had also left the cover partially off (1/4) so there was evaporation in that 100 degree weather along with algae. A bit of sequesterant went in as usual when I top off. No oxidation has taken place - it is very clear (my water HAS been chocolate colored in the past!)

Am I going to have problems with the TA and CH where they are and my PH at the 7.0-7.2 levels (or even up to 7.4?) Will anything adjust on that without me having to actively do something? I know we can't swim with the chlorine level that high, but it will creep down as usual after shocking. Just don't remember having both TA AND CH that high before. Did the Cal-Hypo do that? Lots of ??? - just need to know if we are in big trouble or can deal with this....thanks!

NWMNMom
08-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Can someone answer this for me please? I do not want to cause damage to anything in or a part of my pool by not addressing this promptly IF something needs to be done. Thanks.

medvampire
08-10-2006, 01:16 AM
IMHO
I personally have a CA of around 350 and had an ALK of 200 and had no real problems. I have lowered my ALK to around 90 due to acid usage. The only real issue I have with a high CA is a haze that forms in the water from CA precipitate when my pH goes up to 7.8 of greater. If I remember you have an AG so it’s a vinyl liner so no issue there and if your hardware is stainless steel no problem there. I guess the only thing you could do is drop your ALK by aeration but being in MN it might drop your water temp too low for swimming. If your water is clear and inviting I personally would not get too worried about it.
Steve

aylad
08-10-2006, 07:36 AM
You'll probably be okay as long as you keep your pH relatively low. I would take a look at the sticky on lowering alk and work toward that when you can, tnough. Definitely don't use any calcium products in the pool--if the cal goes any higher, you're liable to start having cloudy water issues, resulting in a need to drain/refill.

Janet