PDA

View Full Version : Cya

nanniesrock
08-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Janet posted in a recent thread pucks cause CYA to go up. I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't want that. I've been told (by an idiot mind you) that I needed something like 60 LBS. of stabalizer for my pool. I took the floater out to follow the directions given here (desperate newbie thread). I'm wondering if maybe I should leave them in?

circlenranch
08-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Are you sure he said 60 lbs or did he say 60 PPM?

EricF
08-08-2006, 04:52 PM
We need to know the size of your pool and your current CYA level, the other test numbers would also be helpful. Unless you have a huge pool with no CYA, 60Lbs. of CYA would be a severe overdose. The reason why you don't want too much CYA is that it can reduce the effectiveness of the chlorine in sanitizing your pool.

EricF

sailork
08-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Most of the people that use this forum keep some CYA in their pools. If you want to raise your CYA levels there is nothing wrong with using tabs to do it. Many people use tabs until they reach a desired CYA level and then switch to bleach. Some people keep their CYA a little low so that they can use the conveinience of tabs when they go out of town for a few days. You really don't want to let your CYA levels get to high because it inhibits the chlorine and you'll end up with algae growth and ineffective sanitization. If you switch back and forth between bleach and tabs you'll notice that the pH levels go up with bleach and down with tabs. Some people do a "balancing act" between the two by using tabs when the pH is high and bleach when it gets low. I can't recommend any of these techniques, because my pool already had high CYA when I bought the house, so I don't have first hand experience. If you're in the South you probably want a CYA of at least 30 IMHO.

nanniesrock
08-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I did post my levels & other info in the other thread I mentioned. I'm just new to all this stuff (& I thought I had it down last year:rolleyes: ). I thought CYA = conditioner/stabalizer. Just a bit confused as to how you can have too much of a good thing? How does a stabalizer make chlorine less effective? I was using liquid shock + pucks & my chlorine wasn't converting properly?
Is it helpful to repost all pool info with each question?

medvampire
08-08-2006, 10:32 PM
CYA bonds with chlorine to make it more stable from UV witch is a good thing but too much can bond too much free chlorine causing the need to raise the chlorine levels. The chlorine and CYA bonded in a form witch protects it from UV but also decreases its ability to sanitize and oxidize contaminates in your pool. In lower amounts it does allow a faster depletion of chlorine by UV light but also allows for chlorine to do its work better in the pool. Think of it this way … CYA is sun block for your chlorine. You wear sun block to keep from getting burnt but you do want a tan so if you use too much sun block you won’t get your tan. We want CYA to protect the chlorine from the sun but we still want exposure to the water. If we raise the CYA level we have to raise the amount of chlorine to make up the bonding of the CYA to chlorine. I hope I didn’t confuse you more with this.
As for posting pool info I would put the pool basic info in your sig line and if asking a question for a problem I would post your pool chemistry. It helps the pros here get a better ideal of what is going on.
Steve

nanniesrock
08-09-2006, 09:45 AM
CYA bonds with chlorine to make it more stable from UV witch is a good thing but too much can bond too much free chlorine causing the need to raise the chlorine levels. The chlorine and CYA bonded in a form witch protects it from UV but also decreases its ability to sanitize and oxidize contaminates in your pool. In lower amounts it does allow a faster depletion of chlorine by UV light but also allows for chlorine to do its work better in the pool. Think of it this way … CYA is sun block for your chlorine. You wear sun block to keep from getting burnt but you do want a tan so if you use too much sun block you won’t get your tan. We want CYA to protect the chlorine from the sun but we still want exposure to the water. If we raise the CYA level we have to raise the amount of chlorine to make up the bonding of the CYA to chlorine. I hope I didn’t confuse you more with this.
As for posting pool info I would put the pool basic info in your sig line and if asking a question for a problem I would post your pool chemistry. It helps the pros here get a better ideal of what is going on.
Steve

wow, if you're not a teacher by trade, maybe you should be. I found that to be easily understandable & extremely helpful, thanks.

medvampire
08-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Naw I am not a teacher, my future wife is working on her BA in teaching but I just couldn't do it.
Waterbear (Evan) is a teacher for special needs kids and I have to take my hat off to him for it.
Steve