PDA

View Full Version : Light dead - help?

kaybinster
04-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I have a 20 X 40 IG vinyl pool with a Hayward SP-580 Series Astrolite Underwater Light Fixture. How do I go about changing the bulb - and where do I get one. If I read the drawing correctly I am assuming that I get in the pool and take the faceplate off. I then assume I need to disconnect the wiring that is about 10' from the pool and tie a snake to it, then go back in the pool and pull the entire assembly out, change the bulb in a dry area and then seal the unit and reverse the procedure. Is that correct or is there some other way this gets done?

duraleigh
04-15-2006, 04:40 PM
I believe, when you get in the pool and remove the cover, you will find enough cord inside the fixture to lay the light up on the deck and change the bulb on dry land. That's the way most of them work.:)

Dave S.

kaybinster
04-15-2006, 08:16 PM
I believe, when you get in the pool and remove the cover, you will find enough cord inside the fixture to lay the light up on the deck and change the bulb on dry land. That's the way most of them work.:)

Dave S.

Sure hope that is the case!

Jimmy C
04-16-2006, 12:48 AM
I replaced my bulb last year, and this was another example of how a simple repair goes bad. I decided to replace the gasket while I was at it. I bought a gasket from Leslies that was super "squishy". Well it leaked pretty fast. It is really disgusting to see the water line in your light. After three tries I gave up, and went over to Self Chem. They had a much better gasket that worked. Be aware that even with a good gasket, during the initial heating up, the pressure will rise in the light, and this will force out a few bubbles. This will soon stop, but keep looking for a water line in the light just in case.

I had another problem where the pool ground and my light ground wire were about 1 volt apart. So when I was handling the light under water, I was feeling a low level electrical shock. It turned out that the power to my home had an OPEN NEUTRAL, and the only thing tying the neutral near ground was a copper ground rod by my pump. The power company fixed the neutral issue as an emergency Saturday repair. After this repair, all kinds of weird electrical issues in my house went away.