PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Geeks

duraleigh
08-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Hi, Folks,

Frequently, I post a statement that may be inaccurate. Usually, something like, "Two things consume chlorine in your pool....the Sun and organics that enter the water".

My question is whether or not the use of the word "organics" is correct....at least, for the practical purpose of pool management. Over time, I have been using this term more frequently and have realized I really have no background knowledge or experience to know that my terminology is correct. If there is a better choice of words, (remember, keep it short and simple for us multi-challenged folks:) ) I would like to start using it.

As an aside, it is pleasant to see some really well thought out discussions over here. Frequently in the past, most have declined into "defending turf" and quickly get boring. That has not been the case this Summer. Good discussions and I have learned from them....Thanks.

AnnaK
08-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Hi Dave,

What is causing you to question your choice of 'organics'? IMO, it's a fine word to describe the common contaminats we have to deal with.

Leaves, bits of grass, bugs; body waste (and I definitely have experience with that: My old dog pooped in the pool the other day. For sure organic :) ); algae, molds, bacteria and virii.

The occasional inorganic matter, such as sand, dirt (debatable whether that's organic or inorganic), rocks and such only challenge the chlorine household because they may carry along organic materials.

You could use 'biomatter' or 'biological contaminants' - and hey, that one could be abbreviated to biominants and we'd have a whole new word - but IMO for purposes of these discussions, organics is a good description.

medvampire
08-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Dave
Organics sounds good to me.
Organic chemistry --> carbon chemistry
So if what you refer to as organics contains carbon .... it fits:).
I am shure Richard and Evan will fill in more blanks about this but it been a long nightfor me, seemed to be a full moon at the hospital (one too many nuts:eek:), and its past my bedtime so I am gonna crash:cool:.
Good Day(night for me:rolleyes:)
Steve
(sound of head hitting desk)zzzzzzzz:D

KurtV
08-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Organic has several meanings (including a chemistry specific one), but I think that in the context in which you're using the word, your meaning is clear.

chem geek
08-08-2006, 11:00 AM
I agree that "organics" is a decent catch-all phrase for the stuff that gets into the pool that chlorine deals with. Technically, though, ammonia is not organic as it does not contain carbon (carbon dioxide is usually considered inorganic even though it contains carbon -- yes, it's confusing) and yet chlorine certainly gets consumed by it. It seems to be the only inorganic compound that is normally introduced into the pool and eats up chlorine (the resulting chloramines are also inorganic and eat up more chlorine). Sodium Thiosulfate that is used to eat up chlorine in the alkalinity drop test (or to remove chlorine from pools -- rarely done) is also inorganic, but is not normally found in pools.

The ozone produced in ozone systems can also use up chlorine (and vice versa) and ozone is also inorganic, but hardly anyone on this forum uses an ozone system.

So this is why I usually say that chlorine gets used up by "ammonia and organics" -- just because I'm an anal-retentive chemistry geek.

Richard

waterbear
08-08-2006, 01:04 PM
In some of my posts I also say ammonia compounds and organics or just organics...so I think it's a good catch all phrase! To me the word 'organics' used in conjuction with a pool denotes contaminents from living things such as sweat, urine, plant material, bacteria, nitrogeneous fertilizers (manure), etc. Not the 'chemistry' definition but certainly a valid one. the first definition of 'organic' on Dictionay.com is:
Of, relating to, or derived from living organisms: organic matter.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/organic

This certainly describes what we are dealing with in our pools!

duraleigh
08-08-2006, 03:42 PM
"Organics" it is.

I find it interesting that the original intent of "geeks" in everday language has morphed from mildly derogatory into a badge of honor.

Appropriately....."Thanks, Geeks!":)

ShelleyAnn
08-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Dave - I am an "organic" gardener. In my little gardening group we always used the word "organic" to mean things of the earth...things found in nature that are not man-made. Then, some stickler from the "University" came in and lectured and insisted that organic meant that it had carbon in it...still trying to figure out the difference. :)

Shelley

AnnaK
08-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Or, to be really geeky, carbon and hydrogen. Diamonds are all carbon but aren't considered an organic compound.

Ammonia, on the other hand, has no carbon in it yet it reacts with chlorine and falls within the group of 'organics' for purposes of this discussion.

I'm splitting hairs, aren't I?

matt4x4
08-09-2006, 08:41 AM
can't we just call it crap or crud???