PDA

View Full Version : Can I make this hole into a drain?

tpool
04-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi All,
Got an interesting question. The pool was taken down for the winter to do some leveling. Sometime between the time it was in the process of being back to being set-up and actually putting the rails in, there appeared a hole about 1 1/2" in diameter, from a mouse or something.:eek: It is in one of the corners about 3 inches up from the bottom. That is one heck of a hole to patch! What I was thinking was actually putting a bulkhead fitting in it's place for when we need to drain the thing.

Do you think there will be a problem putting the fitting on the curved corner with no leaking? Or... do they make a fitting for this location with a curved flange?

Thanks for any help
Ted

hrsdennis
04-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi Ted, If it were me I would not try to get to fancy. I would patch the hole, give it a day to dry and then install it. I have patched skimmer openings before with no problems. Your biggest problem may be installing a used liner. Depending on the amount of shrinkage that has occurred, it may not go in at all. A new liner may be in your near future. Either way, best of luck, Dennis

tpool
04-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi Ted, If it were me I would not try to get to fancy. I would patch the hole, give it a day to dry and then install it. I have patched skimmer openings before with no problems. Your biggest problem may be installing a used liner. Depending on the amount of shrinkage that has occurred, it may not go in at all. A new liner may be in your near future. Either way, best of luck, Dennis

Hi Dennis,
I don't think you understand... this is an above ground pool. There is no liner, the pool isn't a little 60 mil thk liner.... it's kevlar type thickness:eek: , stops bullets, (it seems it could):D , it's got to be at least 1/8" thick or more. I'm thinking a patch just won't cut it here. That's why I figured to try and make a drain out of it. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this.
Thanks for the reply though.
Ted

hrsdennis
04-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Sorry Ted, I just assumed vinyl. I bet your way would work just fine. Let us know.

Dennis

tpool
04-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Sorry Ted, I just assumed vinyl. I bet your way would work just fine. Let us know.

Dennis

No Problem... I'll post some before and after pics when I get it done in the next day or two. I'll know it'll be soon she wants to put water in it.....:rolleyes:
Ted

tpool
04-19-2006, 11:56 PM
No Problem... I'll post some before and after pics when I get it done in the next day or two. I'll know it'll be soon she wants to put water in it.....:rolleyes:
Ted

Well here is the hole that was "chewed out" by a mouse or something.

and when I got home today from work I had a few "honey do's" to complete, so here it is with the "drain" installed.

Now I have to replace the inlet and outlet bulkhead fittings because the original installers gummed them all up with a ton of silicone and no gaskets.

hrsdennis
04-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Ted, Brilliant. You have fitted a Hayward return near the base of a soft side pool. That is a vulnerabe area for any above ground pool but if I had to guess, I think your repair will hold up just fine and be a nice addition for pool maintanance.

Dennis

tpool
04-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Ted, Brilliant. You have fitted a Hayward return near the base of a soft side pool. That is a vulnerabe area for any above ground pool but if I had to guess, I think your repair will hold up just fine and be a nice addition for pool maintanance.

Dennis
Thank you SIR, Just wish I knew what ate a hole through it????

Speaking of maintenance.... any idea as to what would be the best thing to clean the thing? I was thinking oxy-clean in a paste form, and giving it a try. My wife bought some stuff at the pool supply but it needed more elbow than I had to give. I'm about ready to break out the air powered buffer wheel...LOL.

Thanks,
Ted

junkdz
04-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi,

I saw in one of the posts that you had patched skimmer openings with success in the past. Is there a way to do this and continue to use my old vinyl liner?

Thanks

hrsdennis
04-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Hi Junkdj, It would probably be best to start a new thread with this question. It seems off topic here. I would be happy to answer you there. I am sorry your mail did not get through, I already had my two mail limit. That's clear now.

Will talk later, Dennis