PDA

View Full Version : Tanning Ledge/Beach Bubbler/Fountain Suggestions

jabre
04-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Excavation will start on my pool next week (I hope). I am planning a 6x9, 10" deep tanning ledge in the pool. I have small children (1-2yrs) and would like a water feature to keep them interested. My builder suggests just bringing up a 1/2" return in the center of the ledge and drilling a couple of holes in the cap to create a fountain. Any suggestions out there? I've seen commercial products, but they seem to be targeted at shallower water levels.

JLove
04-16-2006, 09:13 AM
I had a "shallow reef" built and it's quite the hit not only with kids, but their parents too. Really helps build up the young ones water confidence. Both my boys were already swimmimg when I built the pool, so it as more for guests and aesthetics (also had a umbrella mounts installed in the reef)

jabre
04-16-2006, 12:41 PM
JLove, how deep is your ledge? What would you recommend for depth?

towney
04-16-2006, 03:21 PM
My shell was poured on Friday and I have a sun shelf area measuring 6x9 with a depth of 10 inches. Originally the shelf was to be 8x9 but was formed up smaller by mistake, so I'll need to get builder to correct.

As far as water features in the suntan shelf, we haved 3 bubblers position in the shelf. Consider this feature for your kids. Also another idea is to install a PVC pipe in the middle flush with the top, this way you can put an umbrella in it to shade the area as needed.

FYI- Make sure when your self is formed up that it meets your design specifications. HTH

JLove
04-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Mine is about a 10-12 inch depth as well, and I also have the umbrella sleeve. Like towney said, keep an eye on the build-out of this! Mine would have been much bigger (which I didn't want) if I hadn't caught it before the gunite. I just didn't want it to eat up any more of the shallow end real estate. Like I said, great feature for kids and adults

jabre
04-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Towney, what bubblers did you use? Any issues with the kids breaking them?

towney
04-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Towney, what bubblers did you use? Any issues with the kids breaking them?

Pool is still under construction, shell was shot last week. The bubblers/geysers are actually flush with the sun shelf so no worry on the kids breaking them. They provide a low flow of air /water to make bubbling effect. I elected to keep the depth at 8" so when sitting down water came to waist. HTH

ValAZ
04-20-2006, 12:58 PM
We've got a ledge with a bubbler (return) in it ... It's 18" deep. There's a threaded fitting in the return, holding one of those round, adjustable nozzle-things in it. (got the plumbing lingo down, don't I?)

It's flush with the plaster and gently bubbles up, which is nice, but it's more of a "water disturbance" than the bubbler I thought it would be.

Yesterday I unscewed it, took the round piece out and stuck in a 10" piece of 3/4" pipe. (I think - it was a scrap piece that fit!) Now that's a bubbler! My 4 year old loves it! It's easy to put in and take out.