PDA

View Full Version : Hayward D.E. Filter

likesspace
04-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Good morning everyone,
I have a question concerning a Hayward Perflex EC75 De filter.
We are using this filter on our 24' above ground pool and absolutely love it. I bought it used about 3 years ago and although it is WAY oversized for our system it really does provide sparkling clear pool water with very little maintenance.
Now having said that, here is my problem.....
It appears that I have some de leaking back into the pool this year. Now I'm nearly 100% positive that I don't have any torn elements since I just had the thing apart and cleaned each element by hand about a month ago. While I was cleaning I inspected each element closely and they were all in perfect condition. Now what I did notice was that the two sheets that hold the elements in place (Hayward calls them the top tube sheet and bottom tube sheet) had some cracks in them which I assume is do to the repeated "bumping" action this filter requires.
I guess my question is if the cracks in the tube sheets will allow d.e. to leak back into the pool.
Honestly I'm not even sure that what I'm getting IS d.e.. I had a bit of algae to kill when I opened the pool and also had to raise my ph quite a bit so I guess it is possible that this is some sort of sediment from the algae kill and/or chemicals I used. But it sure does LOOK like d.e..
Anyway, any help anyone could offer would be great. I'm thinking about going ahead and replacing the sheets since I know they aren't supposed to be cracked and hopefully this willl fix the problem if there is one. My greatest concern is washing d.e. into the solar panels and clogging them up, if in fact the filter is leaking.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Beautye350
04-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Dave,

I had the same problem with my Hayward EC-65. Changing the cracked piece fixed the D.E. leak for me and I would lay money that it will for you as well. Also, check for cracks, tears, holes, etc... in the seal that is sandwiched between the plates as well.

Regards,

Mark

likesspace
04-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Mark. It looks as though it will only cost about $50.00 or so to give it a try so I guess I'll do it. As for the seal between the two sheets.....
On the breakdown (and from what I can remember when I disassembled it) I only had a couple of o-rings on each side of the sheet. This is an older filter (probably 15 years old at least) so maybe the design has changed somewhat over the years. At any rate I think I'll change the orings as well and hopefully get this problem solved.
Thanks again for the reply.
Dave

Beautye350
04-15-2006, 11:25 PM
I misspoke, the seal I was referring to is actually called the Diaphragm Gasket. This link shows a breakdown of our filters and the part I meant.

http://www.mypool.com/help_Files/Parts_Diagrams/Perflex65.htm

Look at the part the number 17 points to. It gets sandwiched between the tube sheets and acts as a gasket between the top and bottom halves of the main unit. If there are any cracks rips, etc... D.E. will pass into the top half of the unit and get returned to the pool.

If your unit is different than the one in the link, then disregard.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

likesspace
04-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Well now....
I think we may have our first clue to solving this mystery!
When I put the diaphragm gasket back on my filter I simply worked it around the edge of the filter tank (that's how it was when I first opened the filter) and then set the top into place. If one of the edges is supposed to go between the tube sheets (and from the looks of the breakdown it is) then that just may well be my problem.
Man, I really appreciate it your help. I'll check this out this afternoon and let you know how it goes. Darn, now I have to take out all of those bolts around the cover again. :-)
Thanks again for the help.
Dave

Beautye350
04-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Yes, the gasket gets sandwiched between the tube sheets. This would most definitely cause D.E. to get blown back into the pool. I would be surprised if when you open it back up you have ANY D.E. left in there. Sounds like you've got a handle on it now. You are quite welcome. I'm glad I could provide assistance.

Regards,

Mark