PDA

View Full Version : Controlling 2-speed pump motors with Aqualogic or Autopilot?

Beautye350
04-15-2006, 02:06 AM
I am taking the advice of Ben and others here and switching my pool pumps over to 2-speed motors. If for no other reason than Baltimore Gas & Electric in Maryland is leveling a 72% rate increase on electric this July.

At the same time I am thinking to convert my pool to salt chlorination and was looking at the aqualogic P-4 or Autopilot systems. The problem I have is: My setup has (2) Hayward 3/4 HP Superpumps feeding dual Hayward EC-65 DE filters. One pump works the deep end and the other the shallow end. Neither the Aqualogic P-4 or Autopilot lists the capability of running 2 pumps, let alone (2) 2-speed pumps. The aqualogic does I am told, by Goldline tech support, but you need to move up to the much expensive models (PS-8 and above). I don't have any water features or other planned uses. I just want to use the unit as a timer and speed selector for the motors and chlorinator controller and I feel it is a waste to go with the higher-end units if I can get by with the cheaper ones. Anyone know if it is possible hook both pumps up to either the aqualogic P-4 or autopilot? I don't care if I can't operate the pumps individually, due to the way the setup is I need to run both at the same time anyway.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. I apologize ahead of time if this post is in the wrong place. I was torn between here and Pool Equipment & Operations.

Davenj
04-17-2006, 09:07 AM
I have a Poolpilot and 2 speed pump. I had to put the Poolpilot on a timer. The 2 speed pump always has power applied from the Poolpilot while the Poolpilot is on. It only lets you program times from low to high. Set the timer for ON at 5am and the Poolpilot comes on and runs on low for 1/2hr and Program runs pump on high for 1hr then turns off. Causes the pump to run on low until the next program point 5pm, back to high for 1hr. Timer turns OFF poolpilot 6:30pm. I'm running a 2hp pump, don't know if it can handle the surge of two pumps coming on.

Poolsean
04-18-2006, 03:25 AM
Pool Pilot is designed to handle up to 25 amps @ 230 volts on the internal relay. Provided your total amp draw is less than 25 amps, it is capable of powering both pumps on high/low speeds at the same time. You'll have to check on initial surge amperage. Some pumps have a start/run capacitor to avoid high power surges at start up.

Beautye350
04-18-2006, 03:17 PM
My pump motors are wired for 115V. Is the Pilot rated for 115V operation? Thanks again for your help, Sean.

Thanks as well to Davenj for taking the time to respond. I apprecaite it, guys.

Regards,

Mark

Poolsean
04-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Yes the Pool Pilot relay can work with 115 volts. However, the amp draw on 115 volts is about twice as much as 220 volts so I think you will be cutting it really close if you want to connect two pumps on the same relay.
Again, just verify the amp draw rating for the motors to determine if you can do it this way.