PDA

View Full Version : Scum?

KatieD
08-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what all the white scum is that's forming on our pool during conversion? It's really nasty and covers almost the entire surface.

We started this process on Friday PM, still haven't reached 15ppm, but we're working hard on it today, should be there soon.

Another concern is that our pressure is still maintaining. We are backwashing every few hours just for good measure, but we really don't seem to need it.

I guess like most who have gone through this process, I'm wanting reassurance that we're headed in the right direction. This summer has been a total loss for us as far as the pool goes so far. It would be so lovely to believe that we'll actually get some swim time in before end of season!!

Jaybird70
08-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi,

I too started last night and am getting white scum. I hope that's just normal baqgoo.

I'm pea green soup colored with some white scum floating about are you the same??

KatieD
08-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Take heart Jaybird!

For two days our water looked so foul I couldn't believe it. This morning we see the light at the end of the tunnel. The water is a lighter green, no scum, and the water is clearing.

I think the key is to not be shy with the bleach. Using the calculator and a Walmart Test Kit it took us two full days to get the chlorine levels up to 15ppm. So far we've been through 32 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine.

I'm still confused about where the "goo" is going, because our pressure is holding fairly well. It was up a few pounds this morning, but that's the first time we've seen any rise in pressure.

Also, when we backwashed some nasty orange muck blew back into the pool. I'm waiting now to see how or if that clears up.

All in all, we're quite hopeful of a useable pool by weeks end. Good luck with your conversion!

Jaybird70
08-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi KatieD,

How is your conversion going. Mine's going, just seems slow. We're now at a pale green and we can see the bottom of the pool. So I think we're getting pretty close.

Can't wait to be done, I'm really missing my pool. :)