PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Hardness

PaulE10
04-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Hi,

My water calcium Hardness tested at 150. I believe it's supposed to be around 220. What do I add (obviosly calcium, but how) to raise it.

Thanks

duraleigh
04-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Hi, Paul,

I pulled this from a response by "waterbear" to the same question yesterday.....

Calcium cloride (I beleive it is 73%) is also used as a de-icer in winter. My friendly neighborhood pool store carrier it in the small expensive 5 lb plastic jars marked for pool use and also sells it in 25lb bags which are marked as being for deicing. I double checked their price at my friendly neighborhood Home Depot and the pool store was competative so I decided to give them my business since the owner always takes the time to answer my questions to the best of his knowlege. (The guy tries but he has been pool stored himself!)

Dave S.:)

Watermom
04-15-2006, 09:30 AM
What type of pool do you have? If you have a vinyl liner, you don't need to worry about raising your calcium level.

Watermom

PaulE10
04-15-2006, 10:52 AM
What type of pool do you have? If you have a vinyl liner, you don't need to worry about raising your calcium level.

Watermom

22,000 gal IG plaster. I'm using the PS230 testing kit I got a few years back. I've replace the chemicals a couple of times incase your wondering. The CH has always been good. This is the first time I got a low reading (150). It say's in the PS230 booklet that this may eat away at the plaster. Don't want that!
I've gotten great guidance here before and was hoping that a good solution could be found. I wanted to gather some opinions before going off to the pool store and getting the pitch. The guys pretty good but still would rather me buy a new plaster job than add a box of "fix it" from the grocery store.

Paul