PDA

View Full Version : CYA Level Question

elsie
08-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Ok, ok, I know we're in one of the hottest months of the year, but still, in a brief few weeks I will be covering up my IG pool for the season since by then, what with diminishing sunlight and cooler overnight temps, the water will be too cold for this fish.

I strictly use bleach. My CYA is between 30-35. Is that sufficient to hold the chlorine in for some 8 months when the pool is covered, or do I need to boost it up? It just happens that I'm going to be in the vicinity of the pool store this weekend which is 35 miles from home, but I don't want to spend $$ on another bottle of stabilizer if 30-35 CYA is sufficient for winter CL retention purposes.

Appreciate anyone's yeah or nay!

JohnT
08-04-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't believe any amount of CYA is sufficient for that unless your climate is very cold.

elsie
08-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Last August my CYA was about 45 and it held the chlorine for the entire time, opened to 6 or 7 ppm...

CToon
08-04-2006, 06:00 PM
I would leave the cya where it is

The way I look at it , the worst that could happen is you open to a green pool. I would rather deal with that, than dealing with a cya level you're not comfortable with .

Algea = easy to get rid of

cya = not easy to get rid of

my .02