PDA

View Full Version : testing during conversion

KatieD
08-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I've ordered a test kit from Ben, but it won't be here until next week. In the meantime, I've purchased liquid chlorine from my pool supply co and would like to start adding it tonight.

Can anyone recommend a test kit I could purchase in the meantime to check my chlorine levels during conversion?

aylad
08-03-2006, 04:49 PM
If you have an oto test that measures up to 5, you can use one part pool water to one part steam distilled water, mix well, test a sample from that, read your results, and multiply by 2. Or if you need to go higher, mix it 1:2 and multiply by 3. You lose a little accuracy with each dilution, but it'lll give you a ballpark until Ben's kit comes in.

Janet

KatieD
08-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the response aylad, but I have no idea what an oto test is, and I'm sure I don't have one. Is that something I should try to purchase right now, and if so, where would I find one?

Thanks

clayw1963
08-03-2006, 05:06 PM
You can purchase at Walmart, I found mine at K-mart. Both go up to 5, so to get higher levels you will have to use the method above.

GraceByDesign
08-03-2006, 05:07 PM
You can pick one up at wal-mart. They usually have the chlorine test (uses OTO reagent) and pH test. very inexpensive.

KatieD
08-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks very much Grace and clay!

I'm off to Walmart! :)

KatieD
08-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Yay! I'm so excited, I finally saw my first "baquagoo"! 7 gallons of 12% bleach...and counting!

This should be an interesting weekend! :D

GraceByDesign
08-04-2006, 11:12 AM
You know, this is a weird forum... we get excited about the grossest things! :rolleyes:

baquagoo, algea and scum, oh my!! :eek:

KatieD
08-04-2006, 12:54 PM
You know, this is a weird forum... we get excited about the grossest things! :rolleyes:

baquagoo, algea and scum, oh my!! :eek:

I know, it's funny isn't it? I'm all excited because my pool is looking horrible!!
But only because this time it's by design instead of the usual "by Baquacil"! :p