PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2" styroform v sand bottom

ShelleyAnn
04-14-2006, 02:37 PM
We're getting closer to putting our 15 x 30 AG pool up and I need to decide whether to use 2" of sand on the bottom (I purchased coving) and worry about smoothing that out or just getting 1 1/2" styrofoam and laying that out. Does anyone have an opinion/experience on which is best? I'm sure the styrofoam would be easiest, but I don't want to do it if it compromises anything.

Thanks everyone.

JMCFAN
04-14-2006, 03:04 PM
I did both.... spread the sand out nice and smooth and then layed the foam down.... came out nice. Few little indentation...but you will never get them all out.....or if you do... your damn good! The foam makes for a nice bottom of the pool though...!!

ShelleyAnn
04-14-2006, 03:20 PM
The person we bought the pool from told us we had to have whatever we used at just the right height for the beaded liner to fit properly. I'm wondering how you get the liner at just the right depth for the bead to fit in at the top, without any wrinkles when it says to add 2" of sand OR 1 1/2" of styrofoam. Is the liner that forgiving?

Sherra
04-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Possibly because sand will compact down about a half inch once the weight of the water is added and the styrofoam won't compact under the weight of the water? Just an uneducated guess.

nicker
04-15-2006, 12:38 PM
I too was wondering what to choose. We just bought are first AG pool and will be getting starting on the ground prep in a few weeks.

One dealer said foam bottom is much nicer and I think it may feel nicer too. But another dealer said no. The reason they said no was that the seems would eventually separate and you have to tape the seems too. And that I guess is very noticable (makes sense).

The one thing I do know I would like better about foam would be no worries about small rocks. I think we have decided on sand. Two of my friends have used sand and years later their pools are still fine.

I would love others opions and experiences.

NWMNMom
04-15-2006, 03:07 PM
If you use Mason's sand there are no little rocks, which is why it costs more.

csevel
04-15-2006, 04:09 PM
What about putting a tarp between the sand and the liner? Would this help prevent the sand from rubbing the liner away (albeit slowly):confused: ??

ShelleyAnn
04-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Just how is the styrofoam supposed to "separate"? You cut it to fit the inside of the wall, butting up all the pieces tight, then tape the joints. This is a hoot, because the pool man I talked to said styrofoam isn't as good as sand because they buckle up...the exact opposite of what your guy told you. The funny thing is, I bet they're both right. Geeze.

hrsdennis
04-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi all, sand and foam, pros and cons. I have installed many thousands of pools on a sand base. That’s what I do every day. Once I have smoothed the sand I get out of the pool and do the rest of the install from the outside. This leaves the sand free of footprints. No one gets in the pool until it is full of water and the sand well packed.

I have also done many foam bottoms. With a couple of rolls of duck tape and a good liner install they turn out great. The last one I did for myself was on foam and the one I set up for a customer this morning was on foam. The only drawback is if your liner does not fit well it is extremely hard to work the wrinkles to a minimum. Sand is a little more forgiving in this respect.

Best of luck with the pools, Dennis

CarlD
04-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Duct tape? I have been told NOT to use duct tape as it will bleed and eventually damage the liner. I believe there is a special tape that does not bleed. I know duct tape does bleed over time in other aps.

The first liner in my pool was put in very well, but it was defective and failed after 10 days. The replacement was under warranty, and so was the installation, but they were local guys and did a HORRIBLE job and it's all wrinkled and you can see lots of footprints at night. I should have made them stop when they kept trying to talk me into vermiculite. I live between hoping I get a lot of years out of the liner, and hoping it will fail so I can replace it. Otherwise the pool is great and I am opening it up for its 4th season.

hrsdennis
04-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Hi Carl, I know what you mean about vermiculite. So hard to keep smooth. The worst part is, when you go to replace a liner it is almost impossible smooth out.

As for the duct tape, I use it on every pool I install. Have for over thirty years, never a proplem. I take pools down and move them from yard to yard on a regular basis, never a problem from duct tape.

Maybe it's a guy thing but I sear by it, Dennis

gwrace1
04-17-2006, 11:03 AM
We used a 2" sand base, foam cove and a Gladon Perfect Bottom.
The floor of the pool is foot print free, and the liner is protected from insects, grasses and roots. The floor feels like a concrete base. Nice and smooth. It's pricey but made for a real nice installation. Gladon has a 10 year warranty on the product.

zephans
06-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Ok, I have a related question: I'm installing Happy Bottom foam with ~2" sand under it.

QUESTION#1: What type of sand do I need (or at least what types should I avoid)?

a. Mason sand - recommended for sand-only install per thread above.
b. Screenings? - mentioned in one or two threads I've read (months ago).
c. ??? (I have no idea what other grades of sand are available and what is best value and what to avoid)

QUESTION #2: Do I need to tamp down the sand?

For my install perfect sand is probably not as critical due to happy bottom foam. However I think the stuff is only 1/4" thick so I want to ensure the sand base is level and smooth (no footprints).

FYI: I've also read that watering the sand after leveling out the sand will help it settle in smoother. (I'd assume you need to spray water thin so it doesn't move the sand.)

I'm planning to purchase sand tomorrow so quick replys are most welcome!

NWMNMom
06-15-2007, 04:28 PM
If you are looking at any of the posts that include leveling, etc. regarding the "screenings" that is NOT sand, it is sometimes called crusher run and is crushed rock - Good for under rails as it compacts nicely, but not good to be in contact with a liner. Masons sand is best. Most other sands may have large or sharp rocks in them.