PDA

View Full Version : Help! Mice!

Dr. Spike
08-01-2006, 07:34 PM
I have a quick question or three. :)

Last Sunday I found two mice in the skimmers (one in each). I shocked to 12 PPM. Now today I find yet another mouse in the skimmer. :(

So my question is, would you bring it back up to shock levels or not? Normally anytime I find a mouse in the skimmer I shock and I don't swim until the Cl levels go down under 10 (which normally takes a few days.)

Second question, when would you say it is safe to swim? Is my under 10 PPM OK? Could I swim sooner? Or should I wait longer?

I know mice can carry things, so a third question would be how long would it take to kill off anything the mouse or mice brought into the pool?

Here are my numbers if that helps any. (My normal Cl loss is between .25 and .5 PPM per day.)

(PS234 Kit)

Today's results (after finding mouse):

FC = 11
CC = 0
TC = 11
pH = 7.5
Alk = 120
Cal = 320
CYA = 0(<20) (I had it tested a few times by a pool store they came up with 10 three times and 17 once)
Temp = 81 F (Got my heater fixed :))

----

Sundays results (after finding mice):

FC = 3
CC = 0
TC = 3
pH = 7.5
Alk = (Did not test)
Cal = (Did not test)
CYA = (Did not test)
Temp = 75 F

----

Sundays results (after shocking):

FC = 12
CC = 0
TC = 12
pH = 7.5
Alk = (Did not test)
Cal = (Did not test)
CYA = (Did not test)
Temp = 75 F

----

I know I am not much under shock levels according to Ben's Best Guess Chart. But I rather be safe than sorry.

Thank you!

Poconos
08-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Maybe I should be concerned but I'm not. Have found mice, moles, even a couple baby rabbits in the pool over the years. All 'freshly' dead, that is, no decomposition. I never worried about shocking.
Al

Dr. Spike
08-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks Al! You put my mind at ease.

The few mice I have found in the skimmers are never more then 24 hours old (or dead as the case may be). No decay or dead animal smell for that matter. Today's mouse couldn't have been more than a few hours old. (I really don't know why I checked the skimmers twice in a few hours. :))

Maybe I am just being overly cautious?

I think I will leave it alone and let the Cl levels come back down to the normal operating range.

iardon
08-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Maybe I should be concerned but I'm not. Have found mice, moles, even a couple baby rabbits in the pool over the years. All 'freshly' dead, that is, no decomposition. I never worried about shocking.
Al

Same here. This is my first year owning a pool and in just a couple of months being open I've found about 5 dead chipmunks and 6 mice. Never shocked.

Sherra
08-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Moles, mice, frogs/toads, lizards and TONS of crickets and haven't needed to shock just because I found them. As long as you're maintaining proper chlorine levels otherwise, you should be fine.

Dr. Spike
08-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks to all that have posted so far.

I will stop freaking out and shocking the pool when I find a fresh mouse. :) Especially since each time I have, my Cl numbers were fine.