PDA

View Full Version : Testing CYA

clayw1963
08-01-2006, 05:22 PM
I have put 4 pounds of CYA in my 14000 gallon above ground pool and I am still only getting a reading of about 15 when I test it. (I put in 3 pounds, waited 5 days tested, then added another pound, waited 5 more days and tested again.)
I had a cheaper test kit, but received Ben's kit this weekend and it is still testing low. Is 30 seconds enough after I mix the solution to get an accurate test?
The water is crystal clear and I am only using about 3 quarts of bleach every couple of days (sometimes more, but it is in the high 90's - 100 here). I'm keeping that level at 3ppm.

aylad
08-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Did you backwash at all after you added it? If so, then a lot of it will have washed out. Regarding the testing, I usually shake it for 30 seconds, then let the mixture sit on the counter while I do my other testing, then do that one last--it does make a difference in total CYA when I do that.

Janet

DavidD
08-01-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm thinking you should have around 40 ppm.:confused: What temperature is the water? I've found that the warmer the more accurate. Also, are you testing in lots of light, following instructions (waste level, looking in from top)? This is a very subjective test. You may want to get someone else test to get a second opinion.

Dave

clayw1963
08-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the help. Yes, I did clean the filter about a week after I added, so I may have washed some of it away (still in the habit from the baquacil). Did a retest this morning, waist high outside in the daylight and it is still testing low. Water temp is in the 80's (I'm in Nashville are too DavidD). I will take a sample to the pool store just to double check myself. I probably washed a lot of it away!

les_smith
08-02-2006, 09:03 AM
I have the same problem. Here was the thread that I started:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4372&highlight=showing

I still don't show the level CYA that I think my pool has in it. But, I just watched how much chlorine was being burned up by the sun and let that tell me if my CYA was having an effect. I went from using 1.42 gallons (1 jug) of 6% clorox to only using 1/3 of a jug in about 10 days. Since adding the CYA Going on 2 1/2 weeks now, I've yet to backwash. So, I think I've got some stabilizer in there now, but my test doesn't show what I think it should. I should probably take a sample to the store, but I think me and my pool are in sync with one another so I'm happy with what I'm seeing.