PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Shark vs. Dolphin Automatic Cleaners

Deal Svengali
04-14-2006, 10:24 AM
I have read many good reviews of the Dolphin automatic cleaners, the only down side I see is the filters bags. I like the cartridge that the Tiger Shark uses. Is the TigerShark as good as the Dolphin, any downside to the cartridge filter?

EricF
04-14-2006, 11:03 AM
I have no experience with the dolphin, but have owned a tiger shark for 2 years. It is used in a 33,000 gallon gunite rectangular pool. It has performed well, requiring no repairs so far. I use it an average of 1-2 times a week. The filter works well, but like all cartridge type filters, is messy and wet to clean. I still find it necessary to vacuum the pool after storms or high wind as these types of cleaners to not handle a large amount of leaves or debris very well. It is great, however, for routine weekly cleanings. It even does a fairly good job on the steps.

EricF

CarlD
04-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Somewhere I posted the trick I figured out to cleaning the Dolphin bags:

I dunk it in a 5 gal bucket of pool water, squeeze till the water is dirty (sometimes opaque), dump the water and repeat. Then I either let it dry until the next bag is dirty or then toss it/them in the washing machine on a normal cycle, no bleach, and then hang them up to dry.

This is FAR easier, neater, and much more effective than trying to clean the bags with a garden hose. A lot faster, too.

cgc2
04-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Man, if you consider slipping a bag over wire guides and clipping it into place "tuff, hard, or difficult", then I think you may have the wrong impression on the Dolphin.
I can pull it out of the pool, flip it over, remove the bag, dump the sediment,
rinse it off and re-install in about 5 minutes.
Thats the amount of time it would take me to pull my Hayward Navigator out to remove the small stone, acorn, or leaf that would make it in operable.

Go for the Dolphin....not difficult at all. Its not pool season yet, but do to constant rain, I run it about 3x a week using the porus leaf bag.