PDA

View Full Version : Need help with installing skimmer

Trimom
07-31-2006, 08:29 PM
We are terrified to install our skimmer. :o The instructions that came with the skimmer are very limited, and doesn't give any clue on how to cut the liner. Since cutting the liner is a very big deal to me, please give some guidance...

Thanks

sevver
07-31-2006, 08:48 PM
Do not cut the liner first, fill the pool to within two inches of the skimmer hole, install the skimmer, push the bolts through one at a time, and cut the liner after the skimmer is installed.

Good luck.

Trimom
07-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Thank You!!!!

waste
07-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi 3mom, welcome to our little section of the web, (IMHO it's the BEST place to learn how to care for your pool). Sevver, is right about having the faceplate in place before cutting the liner - however, there should be a couple of 'settting screws' that will hold the skimmer in place before the liner is installed, and a gasket to go behind the liner on the skimmer mouth, you definately want the 'behind the liner' gasket 'in place' before putting on the faceplate. If this answer doesn't make sense to you, feel free to ask follow up questions. I (we) want you to enjoy pool ownership, and will help, as much as we can, to ensure that your pool is easy to use and easy to maintain. :) - Waste

Trimom
07-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Ok, I just got out the skimmer again and looked at it. It has a face plate, then a double gasket - meaning the gasket fits behind the faceplate, wraps around the wall cut out and seals the unit as well, then the skimmer unit.

I think this means I will have to cut the liner first?

hrsdennis
07-31-2006, 09:52 PM
I still would not cut the liner first. Punch two holes into the liner in the top right and left corner screw holes. Place the gasket over the wall. This type of gasket is meant to protect the wall against rust. Hold the faceplate in place with the two topscrews into your prepunched holes. With the skimmer in your left hand and a screwdriver in your other hand start the two top screws. Recheck your gasket and start two lower screw. Now proceed to install and tighten all the screws. Then cut your opening. It's pretty easy.

Dennis