PDA

View Full Version : Pool not Priming???

robsp
07-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi all,

If it is not one thing it is another.

I notice my pool pump (filter) will come on and it will begin to have a steady flow of water but after a few seconds it drops its intake of water and eventually starts a cycle of pulling in water normally and then it slows down the intake. I checked the o-ring around the see-through plastic lid on top of the catch basket... any ideas what is causing this?:confused:

Poconos
07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Sounds like the water level in the pool isn't high enough and once you get pump flow you start sucking air. Is there a vortex forming in the skimmer? Most have some kind of weir, or is it wier, that can be a door on a pivot or a floating cylinder. I've heard on this forum that some people put a few large stones in the bottom of the skimmer to mess up the circulation and prevent a vortex from forming. Just make sure the stones can't get into or plug the return pipe.
Al

rqbanerjee
08-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I was having the same problem yesterday.

After removing the basket in the pump and emptying it, i stuck my finger into the hole at the bottom of the pump's water chamber (power was off, very off). Sorry for the technical vocab. Turns out that the impeller was jammed with leaves and pine needles. After cleaning it up, the pump works like a charm.

robsp
08-04-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks... I will check on that part of the pump (with the power off).