PDA

View Full Version : CYA test - Just an FYI

Sherra
07-31-2006, 01:53 PM
The first several times I did my CYA test I filled the mixer bottle to the arrows on the label, which should have given me a 50/50 mix. I was getting about 50 on my CYA readings pretty consistently. Out of curiosity one day I decided to figure out how much of each (water & CYA reagent) was in the mixer bottle. Come to find out the arrows on the label were off and I was getting more reagent than water. The past 2 times I've done my CYA test I measured both the water and the reagent in my test tube before pouring them into the mixer bottle. Both of these past 2 times I've gotten a reading of 30. I know there's not really much difference between the chlorine requirments for a CYA reading of 30 or 50, but I just thought I'd let you all know that you might want to check to see if filling your bottle to the "arrows" was really a 50/50 mix for you.

tsandershsa
08-09-2006, 11:57 PM
The first several times I did my CYA test I filled the mixer bottle to the arrows on the label, which should have given me a 50/50 mix. I was getting about 50 on my CYA readings pretty consistently. Out of curiosity one day I decided to figure out how much of each (water & CYA reagent) was in the mixer bottle. Come to find out the arrows on the label were off and I was getting more reagent than water. The past 2 times I've done my CYA test I measured both the water and the reagent in my test tube before pouring them into the mixer bottle. Both of these past 2 times I've gotten a reading of 30. I know there's not really much difference between the chlorine requirments for a CYA reading of 30 or 50, but I just thought I'd let you all know that you might want to check to see if filling your bottle to the "arrows" was really a 50/50 mix for you.

Should it be a 50/50 mix of pool water and CYA reagent?

The label on my mixer bottle also allows for more reagent then pool water which has also been giving me a reading of 50ppm of CYA...

Could someone clarify the correct mix so I can be sure of my reading...

Todd

p.s. I purchased a p234 from ben this summer and with it, and the arsonal of information from this site, I have converted 5 friends to BBB and have become a "pool guru" to my friends.... Thanks to Ben and the rest of the forum members for a "Fantastic" site.

waterbear
08-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Should it be a 50/50 mix of pool water and CYA reagent?

The label on my mixer bottle also allows for more reagent then pool water which has also been giving me a reading of 50ppm of CYA...

Could someone clarify the correct mix so I can be sure of my reading...

Todd

p.s. I purchased a p234 from ben this summer and with it, and the arsonal of information from this site, I have converted 5 friends to BBB and have become a "pool guru" to my friends.... Thanks to Ben and the rest of the forum members for a "Fantastic" site. I don't believe an excess of the reagent is going to cause off results since the precipitaton is going to be in the reaction with the CYA in the water and once it has all reacted then an excess of reagent should not cause any problems. I could be wrong on this but I don't think so. The correct mix is equal parts of each.

tsandershsa
08-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Thanks Waterbear.... It never dawned on me that it should be equal parts.... I just filled to the marks on the bottle..... I'll test with = parts and see if there's a difference

kevincad
08-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I don't believe an excess of the reagent is going to cause off results since the precipitaton is going to be in the reaction with the CYA in the water and once it has all reacted then an excess of reagent should not cause any problems. I could be wrong on this but I don't think so. The correct mix is equal parts of each.
I'd agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that when the poster used the marks, the CYA was 50, and when she used equal parts, the CYA was 30. That shows me that it would make a difference! Thanks for clearing it up. I'll make sure to use a 50/50 solution. Actually I'm going to try it both ways and see if I get different readings.

chem geek
08-10-2006, 02:11 PM
There should be enough melamine in the reagent "half" to nearly completely consume the CYA with melamine leftover. So the precise amount of reagent added is not relevant. What IS relevant is the proportion (fraction) of pool water compared to the total volume of water after the reagent is added. The tubidity (cloudiness) is a function of how much CYA is in how much total water ("total" meaning the mix of pool water with reagent). [EDIT] So with CYA levels that are lower -- say less than 50 -- you should theoretically be able to add half the amount of melamine reagent and fill up the rest of the half with distilled or tap water and get the same result. The key is that the pool water should make up half of the total amount. [END-EDIT]

So, if the bottle markings are not truly 50/50, then this would influence the results of the test. If, for example, the markings led to an extreme of 25/75 with the 25% representing pool water and the 75% representing reagent, then you would get readings for CYA that were about half as large.

So yes, it is important that the markings be accurate from a fractional mixing point of view. The absolute total volume doesn't matter -- it is the ratio of pool water to total water ("total" being pool water plus reagent) that matters.

I checked my Taylor bottle Part #9191 and the markings do approximately give a 50/50 mix with the first marking at 7 ml and the second marking at 14 ml.

Note, however, that the difference in fraction required to get a 30 ppm reading compared to a 50 ppm reading is quite large. Assuming that a 50 ppm reading is from a true 50/50 mix, then a 30 ppm reading would require a 30/70 mix with 30 being the pool water portion. That should be quite a visible difference in the bottle unless the bottle has something very strange going on with it.

Richard

waterbear
08-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Richard, thanks! Totally slipped my mind that the turbidity will be affected by the total amount of liquid in the mix! I was only thinking of the reaction itself!
That's what I get for trying to think after getting off of work! (I work with special needs kids and this year I have my hands full!)