PDA

View Full Version : PVC Ball Valves.....Hard to Turn...

Player101
07-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi:

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem with ball type valves and if they have any suggestions to solve it. I installed a couple of PVC ball type valves that I purchased from Home Depot in my pool plumbing. I am using these valves to by-pass the solar panel at night and on cloudy days etc. Anyway, the ball valves work great, but they can be hard to turn. Sometimes, they are so "stiff" I need both hands to turn the valves. My wife can't even turn them. Other times, they can be easily turned with one hand without much resistance. I was told that this was typical for these valve types.

Has anyone experienced this with PVC ball valves? Is there anything I can do to get them looser, or will they loosen up with use and time?

Thanks...John

ScottS
07-31-2006, 12:14 PM
Mine are the exact same way. Even before installed I had a hard time moving them if they weren't opened or closed for a while.

As far as getting better with time, I am unsure of that. I've had mine installed for a year now and still find myself cursing at them sometimes :)

I then remember the alternative, having water pouring out all over the yard, or having to find the plug for the skimmer that never seemed to stay in the same spot.

Player101
07-31-2006, 01:40 PM
I am wondering if there are alternative valves that could be used that aren't as hard to turn......or...I may have to make a handle that is wider to turn the valves.....(longer handle with more torque)

duraleigh
07-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes, there are altenatives. Brass gate valves or, better yet, brass ball valves. About quadruple cost for the ball valves but they are really nice....very easy to turn.

mshumack
07-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Depending on the size of your piping (1.5 inch?), I would suggest the Jandy, Hayward, Pentair/Compool type valve. They have two-way (same effect as ball valve) but are easy to operate and can be rebuilt. I don't know how small (pipe size) they come in but you could always use a reducer. They're not cheap (around $50) but they will turn when you need them to.
Good Luck.

ChuckD
07-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Yes, the Jandy would be a big improvement. Not only in the ease of turning but also the flow design. I replaced the old Hayward 3-way that joined my skimmer and main drain to the filter basket, and it solved my problem with losing prime. The water just flows more efficiently thru it.

Chuck

blue_steel
07-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Most pool stores sell "Jack's Lube" or "Magic Lube". It's purpose is to make O rings seal well. It is supposedly safe for rubber, plastic, etc. I took off the fittings on our PVC ball valves and rubbed some on the ball part. Now they turn easily.