PDA

View Full Version : Transition to/from copper pipe to PVC?

Socal_biker
07-31-2006, 03:29 AM
Howdy

I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't come with anything...

I'm completely replacing the pool pump & filtration system for our ingound pool.

The existing PUREX system & pool was plumbed with copper pipe. Looks like it was all brazed together.

Obviously the new pool equipment will be plumbed with PVC piping.

What type of connector/adapter/coupling do I use to go from the existing copper pipe to the new PVC plumbing. Also, going from PVC to copper piping to the return line.

GHM
07-31-2006, 05:42 AM
Hi,
I too have and old 65yr old pool plumbed with copper pipe. Where ever possible you should maintain your existing copper as it is truely the superior material to use. Look at mine, 65yrs in a cold Canadian climate and never a leak!!

To transist to PVC the best way is to solder on a copper female threaded coupler and then you turn in a male threaded pvc coupler.
Don't do it the other way around (copper male into pvc female) as you won't be able to tighten it enough before the pvc female cracks and then leaks.
Best thread sealant to use is a paste sealant but make sure it is compatable with plastic, not all are. Aply a thin layer to both the inside and outside threads before assembling. Teflon tape can work as well but it doesn't always work the first try and leaks. If it leaks your generally screwed because you cant remove it without cutting the pipe. Good paste sealant always works the first time.

Forget using rubber couplers with hose clamps as these cannot handle presure and will guarantee leaks and problems sooner or later.

If you do cut out and remove a lot of copper, don't throw it away. Scrap metal dealer will pay upto $4/lb !!

duraleigh
07-31-2006, 08:13 AM
All those transitions mentioned above may not be available at HD/Lowe's....they carry the smaller sizes.

Plumbing supply or pool supply will probably be your best bet.

sevver
07-31-2006, 08:26 AM
I agree with both of them, your average DIY store will not carry stuff like that in the bigger sizes, you may need to go to a plumbing supply house for it. And putting a female adapter on the copper is definately the way to go, and if you don't want to sweat, there are compression fittings that will work also. They have a rubber gasket with a steel ring inside of it that bites the copper, you could get a compression to male pipe thread, I doubt they sell them to female, but you would use a simple iron pipe coupling after that. I am sure that the compression fitting cost at least four times what the regular one does, but just to throw it out there.

GHM
07-31-2006, 08:28 AM
All those transitions mentioned above may not be available at HD/Lowe's....they carry the smaller sizes.

Plumbing supply or pool supply will probably be your best bet.

The pvc male tread coupler can be found at any pool store that sells plumbing parts.
The copper female thread coupler will probably have to go to a plumbing supply store. Note- they come in two varities.
1 is for use in DWV (drain/waste/vent). it has a short thread and slip solder end and is for use in systems that are not under pressure.
2nd type is for pressure supply lines and has a longer/deeper thread and slip solder end and is a bit heavier copper material.
The 2nd type is of course the better one to use but is harder to find. You can use the DWV type but i really don't recommend it, only use DWV if you have absolutely no other choice.

Be prepaired for "STICKER-SHOCK"! copper is expensive, dwv couplings can be $20-30 and presure couplings can cost $40-50 EACH!!!

Socal_biker
07-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys.

I checked an online yellow pages for a local plumbing supply wharehouse and when I called them, they said they had it in stock.

But, I never made it out to the plumbing wharehouse, since I had to stopped by Lowes first to pick up some other items.

Well, Lowes had what I needed the isle over from where I was looking yesterday. Lowes does carry the copper male & female adapters for both 1½" & 2" copper piping. This time I cut a small pipe section off my existing pool plumbing and brought it with me to test fit all the fittings.

The copper pipe & female thread adapter fit together perfectly. The male PVC threads mate to the copper female connector perfectly also. So, the thread size and pitch are compatible. :) I also tried and verified that the 1½" & 2" copper thread adapters interface with the PVC threads at the store.

Picture of my 1½" copper pipe and the 1½ female thread adapter:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7140/pipeadaptersmwi2.jpg

The copper adapter is stamped "NIBCO"
1½" CXF (female) adapter copper = $12.93
1½" CXM (male) adapter copper = $8.2X (I didn't need this, but priced it for you guys anyways)

The thread adapters are pretty heavy, so I'm not worried about any pressure issues.

The 2" female & male adapters were just a little more. So, price wise these copper thread adapters are pretty cheap.

huskyrider
07-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Make sure to have a good torch and plenty of flux and solder if your going to rework copper pipe. All pipe threads are compatible in an equal size.
The advice of a copper female adapter accepting a PVC male is the route to take when converting the pipes.

See Ya,
Kelly

GHM
08-01-2006, 06:26 AM
Thanks guys.
The copper adapter is stamped "NIBCO"
1½" CXF (female) adapter copper = $12.93
1½" CXM (male) adapter copper = $8.2X (I didn't need this, but priced it for you guys anyways)

The thread adapters are pretty heavy, so I'm not worried about any pressure issues.
The 2" female & male adapters were just a little more. So, price wise these copper thread adapters are pretty cheap.

WOW, :eek: I sure got gouged on the price when I bought mine.
Mind you mine were 2.5" which are not as common. In Canada we are used to being gouged anyway.:rolleyes:

When it come to soldering these, make sure you get them as shinny clean as you can. Use lots of flux. It will take a lot of heat to get the solder to flow all around evenly. A propane gas torch will work but I find MAPI gas works better. It burns much hotter. You dont want to overheat, use just enough to draw in the solder. After soldering, wipe off all the excess flux and clean it up as best is possible. Flux will cause the joint to corrode quickly and possably cause a leak. On my pool I noticed the original installer had painted all the joints as well to protect the solder.

George