PDA

View Full Version : First Pool. just need some info.

sjkader
07-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Ok here goes everything!!
Been researching inground pools. The little lady tends to think we need one. She grew up with an AG pool. we(she) decided on a 18' x 36' rectangle pool. 3.4 shallow end and 9' deep end. we are going with steel sides. concrete sand mix bottom. Concrete decking. At the same time we are putting in a 6' privacy fence, about 400' in length.
Mind you we are doing most of the work ourselves (me). We are having someone else dig it then we are on our own. My main concern is in laymens terms how to bond and ground it. I would like to do most of it myself. Could someone please explain how to do this. (with out having to pay someone to do it)

Thank you foryour help.

ps. love the forum. Been buying stock in bleach since i started lurking here:D

mas985
07-30-2006, 04:22 PM
All metal near and in the pool must be grounded to the pump housing. So steel walls, ladder cups, deck rebar, diving board, light housing, etc are all connected together with bonding wire and back to the pump housing. I believe 8 AWG wires is used but you read up on it here:

http://www.ecmag.com/editorial_detail.aspx?id=1723

hsdancer
07-31-2006, 11:21 AM
You may want to check your local planning office about the pool and the electric. Here, and I believe in most places, you need a permit to build a pool and a certified electrician or a homeowner's license to get your pool electrical inspected and approved.

You don't seem all that thrilled. You sure you're up for this? Ours took us two years (when the weather was good, my husband couldn't take vacation, and when he got vacation, weather was rotten). It was a strain on the family. Jo

sjkader
07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Thank you for your responses.
I actually am thrilled about getting a pool. The work I could do without, but will muster through it. I have plenty of help lined up, so its not going to be just myself.

As for permits, the town of 2000 that i live in has no building codes for a IG pool. we are the first to put one in. So far its been a headache. I did contact the state inspector for our county and he wasnt much help either. Said he has never delt with a pool install. We had to meet with the zoning and planning comissin and tell them what we were doing and plead our case. You know things like, putting in a fence, pool alarm (many young kids in our area), and motion lights at night for when its not in use. They gave us the green light being no ordinance against it. Then Had to meet with the guy who signs off on the building permit. same hoops, different guy. he signed off on it. Then the city water guy called all freaking out how im going to fill this. See right now our city is putting in two new 500k gallon water towers. They wont be done till late fall. currently we are running off a single 50k water tower.
So needless to say he is freaking out about it.

well anyways, just want to make sure I know everything to cover all bases.:D

huskyrider
07-31-2006, 11:51 PM
8 gauge SDBC single strand is what we use for bonding.

See ya,
Kelly